Yet another tool height gage

dml66

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Seeing the need for a faster way to set tool height on my mini-lathe, I re-purposed a Noga magnetic base which has a multi-diameter threaded base on the top. I selected the M10-1.25 hole as I had a matching black oxide cap head bolt in the bin. After parting off the cap head and the excess threaded end, I turned a line in the unthreaded shank which is easy to see.

I turned a piece of 5/16" diameter 12L14 to a point which I used to "calibrate" the gage. The bolt height is adjusted up or down so it lines up with the turned point, a jam nut locks it in place.

The ways need to be clean for this to work, and I still use a steel rule to double check, as well as a test cut to make sure I'm where I want to be. I know there are many ways to skin this cat, this is just another one, and hopefully worth sharing :).

Tool Height Gage - 1.jpg

Tool Height Gage - 2.jpg

A simple way to set the proper tool hight is take a six inch scale and place it between the tool bit and the turned part. When the scale is at 90 degrees the tool bit is at the correct height. Simple but correct.

Back