Yet Another Save...

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Well, this time I was looking for something else at the scrap yard and in the road half pushed into the muck and partly buried(driven over too)
was a 5 inch vise. It must have been left out in the elements a long time as it was rusted solid. At least I knew the threads and screw were probably OK.
It took and hour to clean it up but well worth it in the end. I The handle part was way too small for my liking so I removed the old handle and fabricated
a longer one that looks nice. The bearing surface the screw pushes on was steel on steel and very little surface area. I added some brass for a bearing
surface and machined on a press fit(also HEAT!) collar to provide more surface area. It will be good enough to sure for sharpening chain saws and likely
other things as well. I have other vises but couldn't see it going to waste. I set the old handle on top of the vise for comparison.

P1020004.JPGP1020005.JPG
Here's a couple photos:

Nice save , many vises have to short or to loose handles. and those that use the pinched ends are just pure cheap looking. Like a lazy hack built it. I have a similar vise and it's been put thru hell with my beating and hammering on it . But it works still over twenty years .

Back