[Newbie] Yet Another Drum Switch Wiring Question..

Jason S

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen,
I have bitten off more than I can chew (as usual). I recently bought a lathe (craftsman 101 12") and am resurrecting it into something useful (hopefully).

The lathe only ran in fwd direction (appeared to be wired very wrong. So I bought a new drum switch and am replacing the wiring which appeared to be in fire hazard shape. Problem is I cannot figure out how to properly wire the switch. I am no electrician but can follow a diagram. The problem is all the diagrams I've seen don't use colors and numbers like my motor they us T1 P1 etc which is gibberish to me.

Here is what I'm looking at in photo form - any help of course is greatly appreciated
Jason

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

115v is how I plan to connect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe this diagram will work. From the motor terminal picture I believe the connection between the motor orange and brown wires is already done on the motor. I can't tell if the white and yellow are also connected at the motor but they can be.

MotorReversing115.png

Note that for clarity I did not show the very important safety ground wire (green) which should connect from the line green to the bare screw on the motor (top right of motor terminal picture) and also to the ground on the switch (I believe ground screw is shown at bottom left of switch picture)

If the motor runs backwards just swap the wires on the #3 and #4 switch terminals.

I hooked everything up as you diagramed and the motor just buzzed in fwd and rev. To really display my ignorance of electricity, is it correct or incorrect to remove the black and red wired from their tabs on the motor and run directly to the switch? Conversely, the yellow & black wire that becomes white from the line in I have plugged into the extra tab at the yellow/blk location on the motor. Should it be direct to white or go through the "tabs"

You should use the tabs. If you look at the diagram on the motor it has numbers that correspond to the tabs that should be connected. I believe black is the only exception, that can run directly to switch.

So it looks like to me:
  • Tab 1 = Yellow with/Black
  • Tab 3 = (Nothing Connected)
  • Tab 4 = Red
  • Tab 5 = Orange + Brown
  • Tab 6 = White + Yellow

Makes sense. Because to have a full time reversal red and black get switched from 4 to 6 (black also on same tab as white and yellow). Your color / number configuration is correct otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried with tabs breaker blew upon contact - no dice. Thank you for walking me through this btw.
I'm sure you have better things to like actually machining stuff!

Lets try one more thing. Don't have either red or black motor wire connect to the motor #4 Tab on the motor, connect them directly to the switch. Do connect the motor #4 Tab to both the 5 & 6 terminals of the switch.

MotorReversing115b.png

Last edited:
Got it. It runs smooth and quiet in both directions with no smoke. For what it's worth I had to disconnect black wire from common tab with white and yellow and direct connect like red. Also the switch contacts both 5&6 terminals in fwd and rev so I eliminated the jumper.
She's running though - sincerest thanks. I wouldn't have gotten it without the know-how from you.

Back