Year 1891 Triumph lathe, is it any good?

aaronpadilla

Registered
Registered
Hi there,

I am wondering if a this old lathe is useful, this guy claims it is excellent, and ask $1840 CAD.

Could you advice?

1594212575124.png

It's probably "useful", but it seems outrageously expensive for something that old. Like most lathes of that vintage it was probably a line shaft driven machine later converted to be driven by an electric motor. Speeds of those lathes are extremely low compared to todays machines.

I have a 1916 Seneca Falls Star machine that's similar in size and construction. The max speed is around 800 rpm. It can be run faster, but since it has a "total loss" lubrication system with sleeve bearings as opposed to roller or ball bearings it likely wouldn't last long. By comparison my 1960 Sheldon machine has a max speed of 2,000 rpm, has an encapsulated lubrication system, and uses roller bearings.

Again like most machines of the era threading is done by changing gears under the cover behind the headstock. Depending on the machine's capabilities there is usually between 10 and 18 gears. If they aren't all there it will be difficult to find replacements with the correct tooth count and pitch angle.

Wear is also something to consider on a machine that old. Most wear will be on the ways close to the headstock. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that the wear near the headstock could exceed .015". While it is manageable it will take some skill to make parts that transition the wear pattern.

With what little information you've given so far I would be hard pressed to offer half the asking price. That would only happen if the machine runs well, is in reasonable condition with all the change gears, and all the accessories shown in the picture.

There are certainly newer more capable machines on the market if you're intending to pay anywhere near the asking price.

It's probably "useful", but it seems outrageously expensive for something that old. Like most lathes of that vintage it was probably a line shaft driven machine later converted to be driven by an electric motor. Speeds of those lathes are extremely low compared to todays machines.

I have a 1916 Seneca Falls Star machine that's similar in size and construction. The max speed is around 800 rpm. It can be run faster, but since it has a "total loss" lubrication system with sleeve bearings as opposed to roller or ball bearings it likely wouldn't last long. By comparison my 1960 Sheldon machine has a max speed of 2,000 rpm, has an encapsulated lubrication system, and uses roller bearings.

Again like most machines of the era threading is done by changing gears under the cover behind the headstock. Depending on the machine's capabilities there is usually between 10 and 18 gears. If they aren't all there it will be difficult to find replacements with the correct tooth count and pitch angle.

Wear is also something to consider on a machine that old. Most wear will be on the ways close to the headstock. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that the wear near the headstock could exceed .015". While it is manageable it will take some skill to make parts that transition the wear pattern.

With what little information you've given so far I would be hard pressed to offer half the asking price. That would only happen if the machine runs well, is in reasonable condition with all the change gears, and all the accessories shown in the picture.

There are certainly newer more capable machines on the market if you're intending to pay anywhere near the asking price.

Thank you, very useful advice, I have not seen the lathe, I've called the guy who claims that gear set is complete but the he was a bit shocked when I asked about negotiate the price so, it's gonna be a pass.

He will have a hard time selling at that price. Another thing about those really early lathes is they often have a rather small spindle hole, if that's important to you.
-Mark

Yeah. That’s a nice looking lathe but the price makes me think it’s a collectable more than a tool. Just way too expensive for my taste.

I would pass on the lathe. Likely find a 100 year newer lathe for about the same money.
Pierre

Back