Yard Work Is Finally Finished

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I finally finished up the last of the yard work this morning. I didn't personally do as much as in previous years. The last week has been spent primarily on yard work but at least it's done. In normal years I mulch and remove about a dozen trailer loads (4 cu. yds. per load) of leaves and garden debris. This year I hired that part out due to my recent hip replacement. Now that things are almost back to normal I ,got back to doing the remaining chores.

The last item on the list was to straighten a gate post that was clipped by the landscapers when doing the final yard cleanup. The post was only about 3" out of plumb at the top so I decided to try and straighten it rather than replace it. I was able to use my small loader as an anchor and a come along with a lifting strap to pull the post back in alignment. All in all things went great. The only thing left to do is rehang the gate.

Here are a couple pictures of the post out of alignment:
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG
My assistant is pondering the next move.

Here's a link to some pictures of the machine. My post is #23. I used the carriage for mounting the forks (picture #5) to attach the come along.

That is an interesting loader you built. Looks like you also had fun with attachments.

Isn't that nice of them. You pay someone to do a little work for you and they give you another job to fix their screw-up.

It was unfortunate, and I don't think the operator even knew he did it. I did call the company to inspect it and they came out yesterday. They apologized and were going to come out later today to attempt a fix. If they were unable to straighten it or broke something they agreed to call the fencing company and have them repair or replace any broken parts.

Rather than potentially have more damage done I decided to do it myself. I had all the equipment and time, so it was just a matter of getting too it. Everything came apart easily (I removed the gate to avoid possible additional damage) and went to work. Less than an hour later everything was in position and it was time to rehang the gate. I just finished that and put all the tools away.

I must say I was impressed that the loader started as quickly as it did. The battery is over 12 years old (the original from my wife's 2008 Buick) and the machine hasn't been started since last fall. It cranked over and started within about 5 seconds. I let it run the entire time I was working on the post, and another hour and a half or so just to get the moisture out of the hydraulic oil. It's back in the garage now waiting for the first snowfall.

Back