Yard Art

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My new place had half of an aluminum skiff as yard art around the mailbox. Even had an old outboard on the transom. Didn't take a picture of it by the mailbox. It is now sitting in my front yard.

IMG_4152.JPG

I am trying to figure out what to do with it. First thought is to haul it off to a scrap place and get a few dollars for the aluminum. It would probably cost me more in diesel than what I would get for it. It is most likely 6061 aluminum. I already used part of it to make a cap for the wood stove chimney. I could remove all of the supports which are also aluminum and have a fairly good size piece of 6061 with a bunch of holes in it. Don't have any projects that I can think of where I could use it.

The old outboard I am going to donate to the Morro Bay maritime museum for their annual sale.

Should I scrap it or keep it????

The elderly man who lived in the house was a widower. His wife had died several years prior to his death. From what I have heard from the neighbors he was a hoarder. He didn't throw anything away. His heirs filled two or three 20 yard bins when they cleaned the place up to put it up for sale.

So what should I do with this yard art? Keep it? I can probably find some use for it. Or scrap it?

Well I didn't drag it home. It was here when I got here. Also have two old hot water heaters that I pulled out of the laundry, a microwave with melted glass on the door, wall ac unit and a small electric wall heater. The trash company will haul some of it away for me. Oh and I forgot the decrepit push lawnmower that I recently found hiding under bushes next to the garage.

Salvaging the aluminum from the skiff is temping. Lets not forget the solar hot water panels on the roof. I bet I have over a hundred feet of 3/4 copper tubing and enough copper elbows to stock the plumbing aisle at a hardware store. All compliments of former owners.

Need to get back to today's project. Installing a door to the backyard in the laundry.

the decrepit push lawnmower
Oh well now I'm interested. Lol. Sounds like an abandoned tool searching for purpose.
Truthfully if I could chop it up into possibly useful pieces and hide it, I'd keep it. But if not, it would be on my short list for tossing immediately.

I might keep a few pieces. It will most likely go to scrap.

I'd make some kind of yard sculpture- a bird maybe or lizard? :) Let your imagination go!
-Mark

Back