YALB (Yet Another Lathe Bench)...

FarFar,

For the heavy bench I made shown here, do you think it's good to bolt the legs to the floor? I'm undecided about this and it won't be easy to do because it's my garage floor.

Ray

Hello Shawn

From my expirience you cannot have mas enough directly under Yor lathe.
Having decided how much mass You can handle/afford next question is form
If I understand correctly slap is a a flat plate of concrete.What really can make Your southbend long bed sing is a square bar as long as lathe bed with cast in bolt holes.
When lathe bed was mashined it was put on a real heavy machine table.It was even supported in the midle.You can still feel the flats.Putting a Southbend or copy on less than maximum stifness support is not realising the full potential.If mackine is stiffened up like that described the hole thing can be hung on a string from ceiling and still be a better turning lathe than most Southbends shown here.If You put the assembly on some kind of flimsy steel bench/swarf tray etc via rubber feet it will still make less noise and inaccuracy than standard mounted lathes.The block will act as a good substitute of the long defunct Southbend bed grinding mashine

Kind regards and polished granite is nice.

Hello Ray.

It is difficult to know if Your floor ,lathebench system is more stable than Your lathe bed.
I had a Harrison lathe and they adviced not to bolt it down as bed was stiffer than most workshop or ship floors.
My Southbend copy Boxford lathe is real lousy in bed design.Two strips of cast iron with four or five inverted u transverses.
After half a year I decided to take all geometri responsibility from the bed and give it to a granite slab directly underneath.
The difference is dramatic and I am still wondering why not all southbenders do likewise.
Your lathe bed seems more sensibly constructed and but if it will be better with some external geometry authority or it is allready stiff enough is hard to know
Put something solid in chuck and put a DTI from locked crosslide to this something let us say 6 or 8 inches from chuck
With a Pry bar move one of the bench legs up and down 1 mm and se if that will change DTI reading more than You find reasonable.If it moves aprecially bolting down is a must.If not moving do not bother.
In one off Your post it is argued that You do not want to put harmfull strain or deformation into the lathe bed.To my view this wrong.Lathes shall have so much force put into them that they turn Paralel and that force shall be constant come hell,humidity or temperature.That s where seasoned concrete(one month or older) or rock shines

Kind regards and I will dream of casting concrete lathe beds soon

Niels

Thanks Niels... I'm going to experiment with this because it it slow season for me now and the time to do it is now. I will write back here as things progress.

Hello Ray.

It is difficult to know if Your floor ,lathebench system is more stable than Your lathe bed.
I had a Harrison lathe and they adviced not to bolt it down as bed was stiffer than most workshop or ship floors.
My Southbend copy Boxford lathe is real lousy in bed design.Two strips of cast iron with four or five inverted u transverses.
After half a year I decided to take all geometri responsibility from the bed and give it to a granite slab directly underneath.
The difference is dramatic and I am still wondering why not all southbenders do likewise.
Your lathe bed seems more sensibly constructed and but if it will be better with some external geometry authority or it is allready stiff enough is hard to know
Put something solid in chuck and put a DTI from locked crosslide to this something let us say 6 or 8 inches from chuck
With a Pry bar move one of the bench legs up and down 1 mm and se if that will change DTI reading more than You find reasonable.If it moves aprecially bolting down is a must.If not moving do not bother.
In one off Your post it is argued that You do not want to put harmfull strain or deformation into the lathe bed.To my view this wrong.Lathes shall have so much force put into them that they turn Paralel and that force shall be constant come hell,humidity or temperature.That s where seasoned concrete(one month or older) or rock shines

Kind regards and I will dream of casting concrete lathe beds soon

Niels

Hi Ray,

The new bench looks awesome mate. I have what looks to be the exact same model as you, and I hate the stand it came with as it's a complete waste of space. I'd love to build a solid bench for mine, but I was concerned with losing the brake by putting it on a new bench. Are you concerned from the saftey aspect of losing the brake, or do people not find it such a useful feature?

cheers, Ian

Thanks... It was fun and it kept me out of trouble. I'm very close to showing the end result but, I had to do some minor shop renovations and other things cropped-up.

BTW: The three-point leveling bases in there saved the day and worked-out exactly as expected and kept me from having to shim the bench legs.

Ray

Great work! Heavy duty for sure.. :man:

Hey fastback, having problems there are several here will sell buy the lb. Idea, why dont you slide over
my shop & we will both go shopping. Head #123 bang right on #140 right into Taunton cener take
right on #138 about 3 miles enter Dighton > about 1000 feet left directly across Reese Auto Sale Citgo,
Aquiria Dr big shop on right. I need more alum. sam Used to hang out with Attlebore Fire guys.

Re: YALB (Yet Another Lathe Bench)... CONCLUSION and SUMMARY

OK, after dealing with uncountable delays... The lathe bench is finally done. First, just want folks to know that I tried many experiments in the process of doing all the final setup. I wanted to learn first-hand and hopefully have enough info to put an end to all the myth about lathe leveling. I also apologize it took so long but, life gets in the way of fun and that's how the dice roll.

First, just a picture of the overall area with some new top shelves and a built-in bench shelf. I'm planning to put a plexiglass cover over the built-in shelf because it will surely get filled with swarf as it is now. The foot brake from the old bench was easily installed in the new bench. The footer rails of this bench were positioned to accommodate the brake mechanism as-is. I also installed the brake pads on the gearbox main sheave so it has a true emergency brake now.

View 2.JPG

Here's a close up of the built in self which is just a frame of angle iron and 5/16 plywood and another picture of some underside storage. BTW: Drilling the frame mounting holes in 1/2" steel with a hand drill was no picnic.

Shelf 1.JPGShelf 2.JPG

Now for the basic bench leveling... Each leg as a 5/8" screw jack built into it as pictured. These were for basic leveling of the bench to accommodate the slope in the garage floor. For this, a carpenter's level was simply used on bench itself. As adjustments were made, I tried to get a good feel of how much torque was being applied and tried to make all the leveling bolts feel approximately the same. Right now, each jack is sitting on a metal plate which is then sitting on a piece of industrial vibration pad. The pads were from eBay -real cheap. Each one is good for 50lbs/sqin and they are 4x4" (=800lbs). In the process of doing all this, I wasn't sure if the vibration pads were needed or not. Tests were done both ways and pads seemed to help. Time will tell if I decide to keep them. Now that I have a handle on how to level this lathe, removing the pads and re-doing it shouldn't be too difficult.

Levelers.JPG

Now for the good stuff but, in retrospect, it's pretty anti-climactic. If you look at the earlier posts of this thread, you'll see the bench had a three point leveling system under both the head and tailstock. The construction is well documented in the first few posts. Here's a picture of the tailstock end from the underside. The three bolts with heads showing are the adjustment bolts. They correspond to front, back and center elevation (from the perspective of standing in front of the lathe). The other two bolts are the hold-down bolts for the tailstock bed feet.

TS Adjustment.JPG

Also shown here is the same thing but under the headstock. Three adjustment bolts and in this case, 4 hold-down bolts. In this case, the hold-down bolts went in from the bottom side and the nut is on the top side. This was due to necessity as the bolts were too long to feed in from the top.

Head Adjustment.JPG

... From hereon out, you don't need a level. Somewhere along the line, I heard that twisting the ways of a lathe was bad. -Shame on me for believing everything I read ...

If you look at this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...thout-a-precision-level?highlight=level+lathe , post #29, it mentions the Rollie method of aligning a lathe. I started with this method and used the adjusting bolts in my three-point leveling system instead of shims under the legs as recommended by the Rollie method. I'd recommend reading the Rollie method as it will get you in the ballpark. With all of the adjustment bolts in a neutral, non-engaged position and with all the tightening bolts fastened properly, I made small changes in the headstock pitch by loosing two of the hold-down bolts, making a small adjustment of the adjustment screws then re-tightening the hold-down bolts. After several tries, I got the "wobble-zone" centered (as described in the procedure).

Next comes the icing on the cake. As suggested by Richard King, the setup was tested with the two collar method. Rich has a thread about that here and another fellow recently posted his procedure and results. Using the Rollie method alone, the two collar method showed about 0.001" difference on a shaft of 8". Using the same adjustment bolts and with the two collar method, I was easily able to get the diameters to match dead-on!

Now for the clincher... As you know, my three-point system has a total of 6 adjustment bolts. I only had to adjust ONE bolt, to get the lathe perfectly aligned!

And now to put an end to some myths... When a precision machinist level is placed on a precision flat across the ways, it does not show level in either the X or Y direction. Similarly, when the precision level is placed on the flat part of the cross-slide fixture, it does now show as level in any direction. End of story, a lathe does not need to be perfectly level with the horizon to be accurate!

As for the bench, I feel very little vibration at all and it has a much smoother feeling than before.

My observation in all this is that heavy benches are a good thing. The Rollie method gets you in the ballpark and the 2 collar method comes in for the kill.

I tried to use the Rollie / 2-collar method without using my 3-point levelers and just used the leg levelers in the legs. When doing that, I could indeed get the lathe to cut dead on but, I also felt more vibration in the overall setup.

Ray

View 2.JPG Shelf 1.JPG Shelf 2.JPG Levelers.JPG TS Adjustment.JPG Head Adjustment.JPG

really beautiful work, Ray!
i'm really impressed with the 3 bolt leveling.
thanks for the post, looks like i have a lot of work to do now.......:lmao:

Back