Yahoo - I Actually Made Something

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I apologize in advance - this is a cross post so if you frequent other forums you have already seen this

Most of you will probably laugh at this and wonder why I bothered to even post it but to me it is an accomplishment. This morning I was assemblying a roller bearing cup and didn't have anything to use as a pusher for the arbor press. I wanted to make sure I was applying pressure to the right areas. Everything i found laying around was either too big or too small. In my mind I'm thinking I can't make smaller bigger but maybe I could do the reverse. I had a galvanized pipe fitting threaded end cap that was too big so I said let's give that south bend a try. I threaded the end cap on a stub out and chucked it up with a three jaw. It was running out of round as expected but not bad. I wasn't concerned with concentricity - just OD so a turning I went. The first few passes were very light and the interrupted cuts with the three ribs was a little disconcerting but I plowed ahead. The fourth cut resulted in the 4" stub out flying out of the chuck to the back of the lathe. I thought about that as I dug up my full face shield and decided I needed to center drill it and use a tail stock center for support. I put the stub back in the chuck and cranked it down pretty good, centerdrilled the end cap and installed a dead center with lubrication. This time it turned just fine. I got it down to the required diameter and went back to pressing the bearing.

Like I said - not a major accomplishment for most of you but a huge hurdle for me. It made me think about work holding techniques, depth of cut, feed, etc. I'm glad I have a lathe . Here's a picture of what I started with (on the left) and what I ended with (on the right)

Thanks for looking

Rick
BearingPusher.jpg

BearingPusher.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick,

Nice job! That first project is always a good feeling and always leads to ideas for more projects.

Steve

Rick,

Nice job! That first project is always a good feeling and always leads to ideas for more projects.

Steve

It makes you think, after you have a lathe, how you did stuff without it.

Great job! Some of the things I have made were automobile type stuff, bearing race press mandrel, etc. It feels good to make a tool instead of shelling out Ca$h for one!

I'm with you! The first 3 jobs (and only ones so far) on the lathe were to fix the lathe itself. Very much exhilarating I must say.

Good job. Keep making chips and your skills will surprise you.

For the first 35 years of my working life I worked for companies where I had access to machine and welding shops. Five years ago I transferred to an engineering and sales office. I didn't realize how dependent I was on being able to turn, cut, weld etc. stuff after work or on my lunch break. After my move it seemed everytime worked on something I was mumbling under my breath about how easy it would be if only I had some piece of equipment that I had formerly taken for granted. I bought an 11" Southbend last year from a friend a 1000 miles away and finally got it moved here this summer. I love being able knock out the little things that make life simpler, so I share your enjoyment. Keep it up Rick!

Heck yaeh!!! Nothing better than a tol to make life easier or do a job better. And repurposing it from somthing else is definately a winner too. Keeo at it Rick.
Bob

Back