Yahoo groups

After spending most of the day trying to figure out how yahoo works , I got some emails on my gmail account from the group trying to help, if it didn't recognize my email account how did that happen :mad:
I did get a yahoo mail account and got a little farther , it recognized a yahoo account at least
But I'm still at a loss on how to find anything useful there.
So when people discuss things is it all thru email .
I guess I can waste tomorrow trying to get to the files "is it a section" a diferant group ?
That is a strange site, who came up with that , o wait it's called Yahoo!
I hope when I get it figured out it will be worth all the trouble it was
Ok rant 2 over.

I have been a member of several of the yahoo groups for some time, but don't go there much---I'm to much of a dummy to navigate their system--I get really frustrated trying to figure out how to get around .

Hmmm, maybe my brain is wired differently, as I don't really have any trouble finding my way around there, but different strokes, as they say. Glad to hear that it is working somewhat for you now anyway. When you first signed up, were you using a gmail address? I've seen that happen before with gmail addresses, but nobody seems to be able to determine why they are a problem sometimes.

One way that we got around it was to change the settings from individual emails to the once daily digest version. Doing that seemed to help somewhat.

So from what I gather the conversations are all thru email and you can't see replies from others questions

Terry I did sign up with my gmail address unfortunately, don't need that going off all day
I was hoping to see others questions and answers/replies guess it don't work that way

John I feel the same way about navigating yahoo in fact never liked any thing about yahoo

Groups work like the old bulletin boards did years ago, or more accurately, like the old mailing lists from the early days before forum software had been invented. The system is very simple, if you send an email to the group address, the server simply re-sends that email to all of the members of the group. All members get to read what all of the other members post, and it all shows up in your email. In the early days, photos and attachments were automatically stripped from the emails and were not passed on to the membership. As time when on, Yahoo came up with 'groups' that were effectively the same thing as the old mailing lists, only better because they were able to offer a web tool that allows members to go back and read through the archives. Additionally, photos and some attachments like PDFs would get forwarded with the emails and would also get stored in a files area. Anyway, the archives, photos, and files were accessible through Yahoo's groups area of their website.

Groups are still a great way for smaller special interest groups to stay in contact and to share information. For example, I administer a group for family members on my dad's side of the family. There are only about 50 members, but it is a great way to keep up with what other family members are up to without having to go through all of the headaches of operating a forum. Everything gets backed up by Yahoo, and they maintain the servers. Most members log in to make changes to their own accounts when necessary, such as a new email address, etc. I have very little that I have to do, namely approve new members when they wish to join, and occasionally help somebody with changing their email address or some other small detail. I might spend 30 minutes every six months doing admin work for the group. Pretty painless!

You can manage notifications with each group you are a member of. Good chance, it is turned off. This may be the reason for not receiving any notifications or seeing what you may have posted. I'd have to go do some looking on how to turn that on/off. From what I remember, it has to be managed from outside the Sheldon Lathe group.

You can manage your email delivery on Yahoo groups, individually for each group you belong to, but that is about it for notification options. To do so:
1. Log in to Yahoo Groups
2. Select the Sheldon Lathe group on the left side of the screen.
3. Once the group itself is open, there is a menu bar that appears just under the group photo at the top. On the right side of that menu bar is 'Membership'. Click on it, then select 'Edit Membership'
4. Right next to the word 'Subscription' is a picture of a little pencil, click on it.
5. You will now see a list of four choices for message delivery. Choose the one that you prefer.
.....A. Individual Email (sends you an email whenever someone posts to the group.)
.....B. Daily Digest (sends you one email per day, with a compiled list of the emails that were handled by the group server that day)
.....C. Special Notices (sends only emails that are specified by the group admin as 'special notices'.)
.....D. No Email. (you receive no emails from the group server, you need to log in to see the latest posts, much like a forum like H-M)
6. Choose the one you want and then click the Save button.

Back