Xalky's shop! Don't mind the mess.

xalky

Registered
Registered
Here's some pictures of my shop. All this is stuffed into a 20x22 garage. I have heat and a desktop with internet connection. Who needs a house??:lmao::whistle:20140124_183254_zpsvouktynh.jpg20140124_183244_zps1nxpzqao.jpg20140124_183226_zpswnlz1sqw.jpg20140124_183205_zpscaqputs1.jpg20140124_183303_zps3nxt00bj.jpg20140124_183340_zpsnqdgq7e1.jpgThere's a lot of money in there. About 30+ yrs of tool accumulation. All the machinist stuff has been aquired only the past 3 years. Some of the mechanics tools and some of the welding equipment I've had well over 25 yrs. The drill press has been with me for about 30 yrs. Time flys.

Marcel

Marcel.
Nice use of space.You got enough room in there to get things done.
My shop is so cramed up with stuff I got to go outside to change my mind.
************G*******************

Hi xalky,
I think that you have your space fully utilized, but still have enough room to work. Lots of beautiful equipment. Like most shops it seems that you have the world of space - but once you add machinery and more machinery, well you become a master of organization.
Michael

Everything has it's place. Not everything is always at it's place however.:lmao: When I spend about an hour cleaning up, everything goes back where it belongs. I spent endless nights and weekends organizing and labeling and sorting through stuff. It sure does take a while to get it where I want it, but worth every minute.

When I need to do something, I can find it quickly, get the task done, and put it all away where it belongs fairly quickly.... That wasn't always the case. I remember spending hours looking for that special little widget that I knew I had but couldn't find. It still happens occasionally!:nuts:

Marcel

Marcel--a very nice shop--congratuations on having it all organized so handy---Dave

.... That wasn't always the case. I remember spending hours looking for that special little widget that I knew I had but couldn't find. It still happens occasionally!:nuts:

Marcel

Marcel,

I'm sure you know that losing things under those circumstances is more likely a case of temporary distraction. If you stay focused and remember where you set things down, life is good. The minute you get distracted and start walking around or reaching for things and setting things down haphazardly... -Bingo! You won't be able to find a wrench that you were using 30 seconds prior.

My shop is now about as "compressed" as yours and I agree with you... Keep clutter under control but there's little point in being obsessively tidy because, the very instant you start a project, entropy takes over and un-does hours worth of cleaning in a couple seconds.

If I had twice the space and the same amount of equipment, I could probably maintain a better looking place.

Moral of the story: No need to apologize for what your shop looks like.

Ray

I'm working on setting up my shop built CNC plasma table in a section of my basement we call the "wine cellar". I had to dismantle it and put it in storage about 6 months ago to make room for the surface grinder in my garage. I had my brother in law and sister in law come down and give me a hand clearing out all the junk storage in that area so that I could put the machine back together. I'm looking forward to getting her all setup and functioning again. This space is 9x16 and should serve me quite well for this purpose. The machine uses a simple downdraft setup that I implemented by installing a fire blanket skirt all around the bottom of the table. A 1000cfm tube fan provides the suction to create the downward air flow to minimize the airborne plasma dust. It works quite well, and was fairly inexpensive to do.

I spent about 4 months Thinking about and planning this out in my head. I should be cutting parts in there in about a week or 2.

20140416_121217_zpsuteurkut.jpg

20140416_121202_zps3mgf0ptl.jpg

This is where I'll be focusing my energy for the next week or so. I need to run a 50amp 220v circuit for the plasma cutter and a 20amp 110v circuit for fan and PC power, plus install some inexpensive lighting. I already ran a pipe underground from my compressor in my detached garage to the "plasma room" this past week. I buried a 1/2"PEX line. The run was only about 30' from the corner of my garage to the corner of this room.

If anyone is interested in the plasma table build theres a write-up here with pictures and videos: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=7436&highlight=xalky+plasma

Marcel

I see concrete so it looks clean to me. I'm in a pretty decent sized shop for the tools I have and it takes all of 5min to un clean it. ahahaha. One of these days I'll have a plasma table. So much you can do with one and do it so fast. Nice shop and set up man

I see concrete so it looks clean to me. I'm in a pretty decent sized shop for the tools I have and it takes all of 5min to un clean it. ahahaha. One of these days I'll have a plasma table. So much you can do with one and do it so fast. Nice shop and set up man

The plasma table is being installed in a section of the basement of my home while the rest of the shop is in my detached 2 car garage. The concrete ceiling you see in the plasma picture is under my back porch. The house was built by the owner, in the 40s , an Italian mason. The whole shell of the house and detached garage are built with cement blocks and hand parged with stucco on the exterior. The Big Bad Wolf aint blowing this house down.

I simply ran out of room in the garage to keep the plasma table in there. It was a shame to have built it, and then have to dismantle it for space reasons. I will be running a machine/welding fab shop out of my home in the very near future. The business cards are printed and that's the direction I'm going in.

Marcel

Wow. I thought I had cramped quarters. There is a lot of equipment in that space. Nice equipment and tools though.

Mike.

Back