X / Y Drill press table

You only have to drill 1 hole. The un-tapped hole in front of the trigger is in the correct place, it just needs tapped. The middle hole is in the same place for both bolt spacing's, so you only need to drill and tap the front hole. Depending on what stock you are going to use, you will have to have the correct trigger guard.
I re-drilled many of these because of the confusion of action screw spacings that Savage uses on the target actions. I have built hundreds of stocks, and inevitably someone gets the wrong spacing because Savage made a run of target actions using the wrong macro for the drill cycle. It's a lot easier to re-drill the receiver than to move a pillar. I have found that the longer screw spacing is more accurate than the short one, as the short one is very bedding sensitive.
The way it looks, you are only about an hour and a half away from me.....if you showed up with some donuts, we could poke a hole in it and compare scars!

The easy button is to go visit @derf, obviously. If I had a generous offer like that I'd take it up.

Have to say, however, you will have to drill more holes (in something) eventually. If you want any degree of precision, a mill of some sort is the way to go over cobbling together a drill press and x/y table.

You only have to drill 1 hole. The un-tapped hole in front of the trigger is in the correct place, it just needs tapped. The middle hole is in the same place for both bolt spacing's, so you only need to drill and tap the front hole. Depending on what stock you are going to use, you will have to have the correct trigger guard.
I re-drilled many of these because of the confusion of action screw spacings that Savage uses on the target actions. I have built hundreds of stocks, and inevitably someone gets the wrong spacing because Savage made a run of target actions using the wrong macro for the drill cycle. It's a lot easier to re-drill the receiver than to move a pillar. I have found that the longer screw spacing is more accurate than the short one, as the short one is very bedding sensitive.
The way it looks, you are only about an hour and a half away from me.....if you showed up with some donuts, we could poke a hole in it and compare scars!
DERF,
I never met a donut I didn't like. How about you?
Yes I am aware of all the things you mentioned. I have one action that does NOT have any hole just forward of the trigger guard. The short screw spacing is known as the Palma spacing. Dont know why. Maybe they had to give a name to their mistake to give it legitimacy. The forward screw hole is directly in line with the barrel tenon threads. Which is ok until the screw you put in there is a couple of threads to long. I m guessing you know all that. Delphos Ohio. I know where that is. You must know Fred Moreo @ Sharp Shooter Supply. Maybe you are Fred ,derf. Please confirm, I will call you. Ed Kerns

Damn Ed... you must be a detective. 419-516-3031 cell.

Back