X-Feed Rates on PM lathes

Breaking this down to separate questions.

I measured my lead screw, and confirmed that it is indeed 8 TPI. I had measured the cross feed, and it moved exactly .125" for one turn of the screw, also 8 TPI. I checked the rack, and it seems to be 6 TPI. When I get a chance, I'll put a dial indicator on the carriage and see how far it moves for 10 turns of the FEED bar.

The tumbler gears (moved by the "forward/reverse" lever between the spindle and the gearbox operate differently in forward than they do in reverse. In the forward position, the 26 tooth gear engages the 50 tooth spindle gear, and also the 50 tooth tumbler gear on the shaft the tumbler assembly pivots on. The 26 tooth gear acts only as an idler, so it does not affect the reduction ratio of the gear train, and the tumbler gear rotates at the same speed as the spindle. 1:1.

When the lever is in the "reverse" position, the 21 tooth gear engages the spindle gear and also the 26 tooth gear. The 26 tooth gear engages the 50 tooth tumbler gear. The ratio should be 50/21*21/26*26/50, which is also 1:1, but makes the tumbler gear rotate in the opposite direction.

The tumbler gear is keyed to the 40 tooth "top" change gear, so that gear makes one rotation with each rotation of the spindle. It seems to me that the first gear that needs to be considered in analyzing the gear system it that "top" change gear. All the gears before the "top" change gear can be disregarded.

As long as the "top" and "bottom change gears have the same number of teeth, and both engage only the 127 tooth gear which is acting as an idler. the input ratio from the spindle to the gearbox is also 1:1. Hence, the input shaft of the gearbox rotates at exactly the same speed as the spindle.

My gearbox with the Norton 2-lever system is quite different from the later Jet and PM units. In practice, it works the same way, but the controls are different. Separate from that, my system is laid out with slightly different gearing in order to cut 11-1/2 TPI for American NPT pipes. I have not determined a use for any of the other threads available in the #5 column. In doing this, they gave up having the 4.75, 9.5, 19, 38, 76 thread options. I believe that PM (or more likely the OEM) decided that it was more important to have the 4.75 thread multiples available, than have the ability to cut 11-1/2 NPT threads. David's excellent PDF of the PM1340 thread combinations does not show any use of the #3 column of options to cut a metric thread, and they do not show up in British Standard or Whitworth, so perhaps they are used somewhere else? I am beginning to wonder it this is a holdover from someone (perhaps dyslexic, but more likely having a poor understanding of the English language) confusing "4-1/2" with "5-1/2" in the original Taiwan cloning process. Since they were patterning on English machines, and the British Standard Pipe threads are 11 TPI instead of the 11-1/2 of NPT, the lack of that option may have been overlooked.

Interestingly, the Atlas 10" and 12" QCGB's have a 9th column, with threads of 7.5, 15, 30, 60, and 120!

At any rate, I discovered that the Metal Max metric thread chart shows that, using 40/127*120/40 gear train, setting C-6 cuts a 1.0MM thread. C-6 is the 24 TPI setting. This is identical to David's settings for the PM1340. This makes sense since they both have 8 TPI lead screws.

I analyzed my feed box a little differently than you did. I saw that position B-1 was 8 TPI, which matched my lead screw. Your lead screw being 4 TPI made using A-1 logical for you. I made a chart of the ratio of each position in relationship to the "root" setting. I started converting it to revolutions of the lead screw per revolutions of the input shaft of the gearbox. I call it "QCGB Analysis for Dummies" because it takes out the need to analyze each gear inside the gear box. I assume it isn't precise, since the gears were chosen to be as close a practical from a manufacturing standpoint, but if it was close enough for a manufacturer, it should be close enough for us in the hinterlands. by working backwards from the lead in inches of a metric thread, I should be able to find the input ratio needed to match a gear position.

It will be a week before I can continue this.

Reactions: B2
@Provincial

Thanks, I will take a look when I can. I think I can understand how you have explained it this time. Since the two 50T gears and the 21/26 gears never get changed I think your lathe functions just as the PM1340GT and the PM 1440GT. etc.

Do you have any change gears which you would switch out for the 40T and 127T gears so that you can make other threads. I would think that your lathe originally came with a set of change gears. If not would they be the same as in the JET lathe?

When you return it will be nice to see your FEED rate data vs FEED bar rotation. Of course we have what is on the lathe plate and if you are correct about the 8TPI (1-B gear setting) being the one where the spindle matches the Lead screw it may also be the setting where the Power Feed bar rotates once per Spindle turn. When you return and I return....

Hi Folks,

If you have a PM1340GT and have been following this thread you might be interested in this table that I just provided to another HM member at this original thread.
Perhaps what I can send you, at this time, is a pdf print out of a table of all of the threading options/possibilities for the standard set of gears plus the 35T for the PM1340GT.
Dave L.

Dave, I got a chance to measure the feed rates on the Metal Max 1340. I used 10 revolutions of travel and then divided the measurement by 10. Here are the results.

Carriage Travel:
Feed per revolution of Spindle with setting A-1 is 0.1005"
Feed per revolution of Spindle with setting A-1 according to the book is 0.1005"
Feed per revolution of the feed bar is 0.055"
Handwheel graduations are 0.010" per mark, 0.560" per revolution
Pinion gear (mating to rack) has 13 teeth.

Cross Feed Travel:
Feed per revolution of Spindle with setting A-1 is 0.0378"
Book Feed per revolution of Spindle with setting A-1 is 0.0345"
Feed per revolution of feed bar with setting A-1 is 0.01875" (I think this is really 2:1 ratio)
Cross Feed screw has 8 threads per inch and travels 0.125" per revolution of the handwheel
Handwheel is graduated 0.250" per revolution, and 0.002" per graduation, which is proper for indicating diameter reduction of the work.

I used a cheap long travel dial indicator, so between alignment error and accuracy of the indicator, there is possibly considerable error. The difference between book cross feed and measured cross feed is 0.033", which is far more than my margin of error. I may have made a mistake in measuring or calculating, but I am sure that I took out all the backlash before starting to measure. I'll have to repeat this measurement. It is also possible that the book/plate on lathe is incorrect.

I used the A-1 setting because it was the coarsest feed gearing, and should show errors best. I put marks on the chuck mounting surface and the bearing retainer for a spindle position reference. I put a block next to the feed bar to reference off the keyway.

I tried to measure the carriage travel for one rotation of the 13-tooth pinion, but I am not confident enough of my measurements to post them yet. When I get reliable measurements, it should give an idea of the pitch of the rack, and help calculate the gear reduction of the drive.

Reading through this thread is like watching computers talk to each other. What an interesting experience! I'm gonna go make my lathe cut metal at whatever feed rate the last guy left it set for. Lol

@jwmay

Let us know what cut that metal into!!!!

@Provincial

Hi, I too have returned, but I have a lot on my plate for the next few of days.

Since your pinion gear is 13T then this would dictate the Rack tooth spacing to match. This is as in your manual. It shows the pinion gear to be 1.5mmx 13T. The length then of a tooth on the rack would be 1.5mm*Pi()=4.7124mm. This would be the same as what @Ischgl99 found for his PM1340 and I found form my PM1440. So I looked again at some of your lathe numbers and diagrams. If you take the ratios of the all of the FEED to X-FEED numbers on your lathes plate you will find that it varies several percent. These may just be the approximations that they made. However, if you assume that the FEED numbers are pretty close, and they are if you accept that the number 3 gear setting value is correct, 0.0804. I calculated what you would get for the other feeds as you changed the numbered gear levers and they in excellent agreement with the table values. Any disagreement is in the 4 digit. So even if these FEED rates have errors in them they are very consistent. So accepted 0.0804 as been pretty good even if it is not necessarily accurate. Try as I might I have not yet found a way to combined the gears in the apron to yield the FEED rates.

I then went back and looked at the gear diagram and it appeared to me that the gearing ratio for the X-FEED could be calculated to be: =(1/22)*(40/46)*(46/13)*0.125=0.017482517= (0.034965/2). (Note that this 0.034965 is very close to the x-feed rate table for gear handle position #1, 0.035. The other table values are not as close, but I think this is probably because the table is not accurate.) In this gearing ratio equation 1/22 represents the single thread that is turned on the gear touching the FEED BAR Worm gear per bar turn. The (40/46) are the gear tooth counts for meshing parts #26 to #22 and then (46/13) is the part #22 driving the x-feed lead screw gear. The 13T gear is a bit of a leap of faith as the diagram does not provide it, but this is the same number that is in the other lathes. The 0.125" of course is the TPI on the x-feed.

I then took the ratios that this number and the 0.0804 number would yield as a function of the numbered gear levers and found that they, of course, were very constant. That ratio is of FEED to x-FEED is 2.8743 exact. However it would be nice if we could figure out the apron gearing for the FEED process.

So, I am going to seen to a private message with a spread sheet in it so that you can look these calculations over and tell me if you think they are ok.

Dave L.

Back