X-axis Dro For My Atlas Th54

I love the idea and the video. I have been thinking about adding DRO but also didn't like mounting it to the outside. Could you also post some still pictures of the installation?

Thanks

I love the idea and the video. I have been thinking about adding DRO but also didn't like mounting it to the outside. Could you also post some still pictures of the installation?

Thanks

Rob, I try to get some pics this weekend. I need to take it apart to get the pics.

Thanks

I didn't take many pics, but I think some of them fill out the video a bit.

This is the piece that attaches to the scroslide and the dro. Made of aluminium.
MRzgqGAeH6ZGGYqfYY-PYLzV2HEhUqH-EBuetIrrF1Q=s848-no.jpg
g2P0fWLzzWagGz2afFzCVOPXdfS8ydb2qE7m4cQibBc=s848-no.jpg
d9ezxbYn1aHksDlExo_qYfChbVWxtlbyCModn5GZBFo=s848-no.jpg
It's not pretty, but no-one will ever see it.

The setscrew and fastening screw. The cross slide is threaded so I needed to have a relief to properly fasten thins without changing the original equipment.
RNkfoUPcUOchM_lNpy9bxY2YUyhWJT6m9VwWkTzPXdI=s848-no.jpg

Then that get's fastened to the cross slide where the original cover was attached.
PNN2v6PL1s-Dtg-ESIJP5VX23_M_Mic7aeavfAipRAc=s848-no.jpg

Then we attach the dro scale ot the aluminium piece and set the screw. Scale snugly fit into the cross slide.

wqsq_RR_oC1I2sVMeKznv2ZEF9oYTjiKLJ_yXypW-Kw=s848-no.jpg

Back of the lathe has some tapped holes.

QNZlzVXxPqCDg33aI3t5cbS5wG9w54nMn01oY4eJZ-8=s848-no.jpg

I had some scraps from some shaper inserts I was making for people.

rN9KjCv7n1G_vvFkYjiGDQhpVfuZbSVxKJiP-3xFiDM=s848-no.jpg

Layed them out and machined them.

Q80ZkZgZpP3c9VSVQo4nnnsnAc8qz-Lqz1giSubQyow=s848-no.jpg

b3UIJv_jykesUtrY664rmCfvbviSLkuebksxFj3SeR0=s848-no.jpg

This is the main block that attaches to the carriage.

CF-B-fe5Cvwl4vqxg15WGS2vyUyGaAv02NJ_ctFlQnY=s848-no.jpg

The video shows more than the pics I have from this point. The bar going out back is attached to the cross slide piece and then the hex stock is threaded into that. I turned doen enough to have th plate positioned nicely when the hex was secured.

JxSub8RvAwPVLrrdsNeZi1T3SKrEyNupPRmmSx2QLHQ=s848-no.jpg

Here's the vid again.

Your DRO installation looked so useful and neatly done I've copied you. My tests show repeatability within .001" so I am quite pleased. Based on the video I bought the 12" scale so I need to cut it down and I am using the original chip guard for now.

Lathe X-Axis DRO mounted.jpg

Nice job, sorry about the comment that it was a 12" in the video, it really is a 6".

I've had a couple people ask me to make them the parts for the dro mount and I am considering if I will make them. Is there any interest from anyone here in a set of dro mounting parts for an atlas 10f lathe?

Back