WTK Is this a good deal on a jet 13 x 40 lathe?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
Is this a good deal on a jet 13 x 40 lathe? It is being offered by a local dealer for $4995. Reportedly, it comes with a lot of tooling. I’m not sure what model of the jet this is. I’m not too familiar with jet lathe 286458quality, can anyone comment on this and if this is a good deal?

Whether it is a good deal is something YOU need to decide. We each look at sale items from different points of view. The photo looks nice, I see the basics and some extras, but I do not see a faceplate, steady rest, follower rest, change gears, and more (all of those would have come with the lathe when new.) You can buy a NEW and very similar Kent KLS-1340a lathe, like I have, from KBC for about the same price, not including delivery.

I also note that it does not have a brake. From what I can tell looking at all of the jet lathes being offered now, they all seem to have a brake on them. I’m wondering if this is an older model or one of the very lower expensive base models.

Does anyone know the model of this one??

From the looks of it, I'd say it's about 15 years old. I bought a new one in 2000, and it cost less than 3K to my door.

Do not see that you are getting anything special or great pricing for an older discontinued Jet Model in unknown condition with a few tooling additions.

KBC Tools. https://www.kbctools.com/CatSearch/1535/manual-lathes
Not many choices in the under 5K range, nothing on their site that I think is even close to the 1236/1340GT models that are similarly priced.

Grizzly is a possibility but you are looking at over 6K with shipping and no tooling for a Chinese mainland lathe. I would go with the PM-1440GS that has similar features with a bigger spindle bore and cost less.

You could buy a new PM 1236GT with base, QCTP and some basic tooling for the same price as the used Jet. The PM-1236GT would be more of a known quantity with a 3 year warranty. You can buy tooling that you select.

Sorry but pretty slim pickings these days and pricing has gone up quite a bit. Newer Jet's have been redesigned, the newer models in this size start at around 6.5K to 10K+, I do not know of anyone that has purchased some of their newer models. I looked at some of their EVS (Electronic Variable Speed) lathes years ago and they were in the 10-12K range, now they are 15K+, sorry but they are stupidly expensive for what you get.

By the way, what is KBC?
They have the Kent KLS-1340a lathe on sale in their flyer every quarter for a heavily reduced price. You must sign up to get the flyers. I bought mine "used" -- for maybe 5 minutes by someone with no idea how to run it. Still had all the the cosmoline on it, except for one foot of the ways cleaned up, and about a teaspoon of very fine brass filings in the chip pan/drawer. That lathe does have a very effective foot brake, appears to stop instantaneously when using it. Great panic button, but when we try to be prepared to use it instantaneously it could mean we are pushing the limits...

NO, IT IS NOT A GOOD DEAL- RUN AWAY FOR 5K

you would do much better buying a lathe from a private party for half the price

You should be able to get a new one with a good tooling package for only a little more $$$. Grizzly has one with dro for $5395 + shipping.
Shop around some, must be a better deal out there
Chuck

I bought a very similar one, a 1340 GHB Jet about 6 years ago for $1800. It had all the factory accessories with it.

Back