WTK anyone familiar with the Southbend Mendosa CS-39

chiroone

Registered
Registered
A local equipment seller had listed this machine recently, anyone have any opinions on the quality fit and finish of the machinie and if this is a good price ?

Looks Asian to me. Still, might be a nice lathe, though the price is up there...

If I'm not mistaken, Metosa is a Spanish company, though as Bob said, it still could have been manufactured in Asia, most likely Taiwan.

It has the look of a very competent machine. At 1.65" the spindle bore seems very small for a D1-6. Either it is a crazy beefy spindle or it is a misprint and is actually a bit over a 2" hole (the D1-6 seems correct from other internet postings).

Whether it is priced high or not depends on you. It is a serious machine and usually that will cost you. There is no tooling included and there are really no attachments (it likely came with a 3J, 4J, face plate and both steadies), no TTA, perhaps coolant (not mentioned, so perhaps not) and $6250 USD - so for me that would be to much. I'm guessing that is the asking price and maybe they would accept a lower offer?

Metosa is a spanish lathe company, evidently they are rebadged and sold by different vendors as the same dealer has a 13" Clausing Metosa that looks to be in better condition and with a DRO. Not sure I would want a lathe with a headstock that wide if you are planning on doing any barrel work, also would want to see if parts were still available.

It may be a competent machine for hobby use, but the reviews I read about it were mediocre "I own one that I purchased about nine years ago ! all I have to say about it is that it not worth the money. I am not sure how the pricing is on them these days but, I paid a lot more than what a jet or something along those lines would have gone for then and the quality of the Clausing Matosa is probably worse than the jet or some "cheap import ". Thankfully it was purchased as a support machine only. If I was trying to make a living with it , it would have been gone a long time ago !!!". https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/suggestions-purchase-clausing-metosa-lathe-159131/

Back