WTB: Van Norman 12 Accessories

ps15toolroom

Registered
Registered
Hello. I'm currently looking for almost anything Van Norman that can be used on my model 12.
In order of priority
1) Universal High Speed Milling Attachment
2) Motor Driven High Speed Attachment
3) VN vises and rotary tables
4) 10" Horizontal Dividing Head (there's a couple on ebay as of posting this) / 10" Vertical Dividing Head / Slotting Head
5) Collets / Arbors
6) Gauge Block Attachment but I need to learn more about this. If it included .0001 indicators made by Van Norman I'd really be interested
7) Universal Sub Head / 7.5" Dividing head, I already have these but I might buy another.

If you read this, please keep me in mind if you see any for sale.
Thank you

Congrats on the VN! I enjoy mine, as a horizontal can do things a vertical cannot. A VN (swiveling head) adds even more versatility.
You may find that the VN accessories are scarce and expensive.
I suggest you make up your mind which ones you want and how much you are able and willing to pay.
Have those dollars stashed away. When one pops up, and they occasionally do, you will need to jump.
Be willing to pass if the item(s) exceed your wallet.
There is usually not enough time to check the bank account and speak with your significant about budgets.
As for arbors and end mill holders, unless you want OEM, you might consider making your own. While it depends on your experience, they are not that difficult.

Will a 10" horizontal fit on a VN12 and have enough space?

Daryl
MN

Congrats!

I've got one of the 7-1/2" dividing heads (not this one, but like this one). I've got just about all the accessories for it too (footstock, dividing plates, etc.).

Only problem with it is that the collets (5V by Hardinge nomenclature, 'C' by Van Norman nomenclature) are really hard to come by. There are dimensioned drawings floating around on the internet somewhere though. So I've made up a few custom ones as needed based on project specifics. I think I've got so far: 1/2", 1/4", and a center point. Between those three I'm usually able to cobble up a proper-ish setup.

Real nice bit of kit.

I think I have my mind made up on which ones I want, all of them haha. Luckily my wife backs my machine insanity 100%, although she did talk me down from buying a shaper...but I'm glad she did.
I do plan on making collets but I'm currently waiting on PECO for a new meter (for surface grinder area).
I don't know if the 10" fits, I assume it would at least fit with the spindle horizontal. I'd like to get a VN16 one day anyway.
Congrats!

I've got one of the 7-1/2" dividing heads (not this one, but like this one). I've got just about all the accessories for it too (footstock, dividing plates, etc.).
I have not seen anyone use the term footstock other than early 1900s Brown and Sharpe catalog. I wonder why that term fell out of usage in favor of tailstock?

I don't think that there is any way to tell why "footstock" fell out of favor and "tailstock" didn't, other than "it just did". AFAIK, your and JRaut's use of it is the first time that I personally have ever seen the term in print..

Back