WTB used lathe in the upper midwest

Kondoor

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to buy my first lathe, to learn on. I am a complete novice to using a lathe, I do have a Bridgeport mill that I am getting more and more comfortable with, but I am new to the machinist hobby. I would ideally like to spend less than 1,000$ if that is even possible. I have a large workshop so space isnt an issue. Im in Wisconsin on the boarder of Iowa and Minnesota and would be willing to drive a few hours each way to pick something up.

Welcome to the forum Kondoor. You've come to the right place.

Apart from budget, the first question would be what size lathe do you have in mind, which of course depends on what you plan on making.
A budget below $1000.00 is honestly pretty small, and would tend to limit you to either very small machines or older machines that need
work. I'm not saying it isn't possible to find what you want, but a bit larger budget would give you some flexibility of choice. Having
said that, lathe prices vary by region, and in your part of the country (I believe) machines tend to be less expensive.
A good place to start looking is Craigslist.

Thank you for the feedback, I had a feeling 1k would be low but wasn't really sure, budget is flexible i might just need to wait longer to get a lathe. I think a 10 inch swing should be enough for anything realistically I would do with it. I would prefer to not have a benchtop model, from what I have read weight is your friend when it comes to machinist tools, and i have a 30x40 shop so I have floor space. I've been watching craigslist and surplus sites, but i really haven't seen much at all come up for sale.

I got my 9" Southbend lathe for CAD$600.
Model 9A (with screw-cutting gearbox and power cross feed), with taper attachment and motor, but no chucks, 4-1/2 foot bed.
It was made in 1939.

All I really needed to do was replace the flat belt (used an old serpentine belt from my truck) then level, mount and oil.

It ain't pretty, but it certainly does what I need.

Best of luck to you!

-brino

Hi and welcome.

Patience is your best friend here. If you’re able to move a big lathe yourself you might get what you’re after practically free. Look for machines in the 16” and up swing that have been for sale more than a year. Study up on how to inspect so you don’t end up with scrap but don’t be afraid to ask if you can have something for hauling it away. Sometimes folks will just be happy to see it going to someone who will use it rather than the scrapyard.

John

Kondoor---did you ever find your lathe? just wondering

Hasn't been here for almost a year, he asked about this one but never responded.

John

Back