WTB Small Lathe and Mill - Texas

TXSteel

Registered
Registered
I'm a novice machinist and would like to machine some aluminum parts for a musical instrument. All personal hobby, no production runs.

Looking for max weight 700-800 lbs per machine, but 110 V is preferred.

The largest milling operation would be facing an aluminum part that is 3.5" x 11" x 3". The "toughest" lathe part is a 3/4" to 1/2-13 UNC plug out of mild steel.

A few bonuses that would be nice, but not essential:
- Facing an aluminum part that is 4.5" x 26" x 0.75"
- Cutting outside threads on 0.75" OD pipe that is ~32 in long.
- 1/8" endmill cuts in small stainless steel parts (2" x 5/8" x 1/4")

I'm not in a hurry, but if I don't find anything used I'll just keep saving for PM machines.

Thanks,
David

Any thoughts on this Atlas 10x42?

Lathe looks decent and is well equipped, check for broken gears, bed wear, spindle play. Might handle some of your milling but not 11"

For you milling requirements just get a used RF30 or 25 for ~ $500

Any thoughts on this Atlas 10x42?

Looks OK, but perhaps a bit overpriced. That really depends on the local market.
I would spend some time looking before you buy. You need to learn to evaluate machines for condition
before you can make an informed choice. If you're looking at older machines, any of the well known brands
(South Bend, Logan, Sheldon, Clausing etc.) will probably be fine. What you need to find is the BEST machine
in terms of condition and tooling that can be found within your budget.

Have a look at this thread: it's a recent addition to the forum.

You guys have to remember, for those of us in west Texas this is a machinery desert. Machine tools are few and far between out here.

Did you get it, David? The listing is already pulled.

If all goes as planned (we'll see) I am planning on running up to San Angelo Thursday to look at some tooling. This guy has had a Craig's List ad up for several months. He's supposed to have a couple of small mills. Without having seen them yet, I'd say he's probably asking too much for them or they would have sold by now. I also know where there is an unused Indian-made lathe that might be about the right size for what you are looking at doing. It's been sitting in an old building for twenty years.

Here's the ad for the mills:

I think we might have driven through Snyder on our way from Lubbock to San Antonio when we moved here from Washington State :)

You're looking at a lathe with minimum 1" bore and 36" bed, depending on how you're planning on doing those threading cuts (whole length or just an end), so a 12x36 or 13x40. They don't come up all that often, but you can snag some deals as they're often larger than most people want to deal with. Anywhere from $1500 for a barn find to $4500 for a decent condition lathe with some tooling.

You're flat out not going to get an RF30 mill for $500 round here, not unless you get real lucky and move fast. $1000 seems to be the floor for mills in general and then up from there, eg. that listing vocatexas posted with an Enco knee mill for $5000 (no mention of tooling either). People are well proud of their kit here.

That Atlas lathe didn't look like a good enough deal to drop everything and go, and I'm unfamiliar with the availability of replacement parts for it, so I didn't pursue it.

I see a lot of high machinery prices on CL. People posting used equipment for new prices. One used mill in Ft. Worth was listed for twice the MSRP and didn't come with alot of extra tooling.

Vocatexas - That central machinery mill/drill machine is on harbor freight's website for $1100 (although it's no longer available). $1500 is way too much...

Mattthemuppet2 - Sorry, I didn't clearly explain in my original post. The threads on that 32" pipe would just be an inch or so on the end- I really don't even need a lathe for that.

These high resale values in TX make me think buying new might not be such a bad idea...

Last edited:
That Atlas lathe didn't look like a good enough deal to drop everything and go, and I'm unfamiliar with the availability of replacement parts for it, so I didn't pursue it.
Replacement parts are pretty much unavailable (new, that is) for a lot of older lathes. There are some replacement parts
available for Logans, Atlas (through Clausing) and Clausing itself. Chinese lathes are variable: if sold by Grizzly or Jet at some
time parts can sometimes be obtained. Otherwise it's eBay or make-it-yourself.

I know how you are feeling. I looked at used lathes for over a year before I gave up & bought a new PM. I wasted a lot of time going to look @ lathes listed as in "good" condition. I've worked with machines of various types all my life and have a fair idea of what to look for. I had priced getting a lathe bed ground, expensive! Cracked castings patched and covered with fresh paint. Lots of wear in the most used areas & serious nicks and dings indicating rough use. I was looking for a larger machine and they all seemed to have been used for production work. Lots of wear. Lathes more geared toward hobby work are likely not as worn but may not have been built as well either. I would buy a Taiwan lathe rather than a Chinese one. Some Chinese ones are decent but you never know. A good dealer is worth paying more for.

Mattthemuppet2 - Sorry, I didn't clearly explain in my original post. The threads on that 32" pipe would just be an inch or so on the end- I really don't even need a lathe for that.

These high resale values in TX make me think buying new might not be such a bad idea...

if you only wanted to do the end in a lathe, you'd need one with more than 3/4" through the spindle, which would rule out the smaller Atlases (I think) and South Bend 9 lathes.

you can get good deals, you just have to be patient, lucky, willing to travel and pounce on it that instant :)

Back