Wtb Small, First Milling Machine Houston, Tx!

graduation1

Registered
Registered
Hello all!

I just graduated as a mechanical engineer and want to get back into machining and start small. I was looking to buy a small milling machine in Houston. I want to buy something like a used Harbor Freight machine (but ideally something a little bigger and better) locally here in Houston.

I am also looking for starter tools, parts, and mills to go with it.

Please reach out if you have anything that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

Check out the Grizzly line up. They have a machine to fit just about any budget. And they will ship it to your doorstep.

Thank you for the advice! I am strongly looking at them. I would just like to buy something used to hopefully save a little and maybe get more of the starter tools I need.

Hello all!

I just graduated as a mechanical engineer and want to get back into machining and start small. I was looking to buy a small milling machine in Houston. I want to buy something like a used Harbor Freight machine (but ideally something a little bigger and better) locally here in Houston.

I am also looking for starter tools, parts, and mills to go with it.

Please reach out if you have anything that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

Hi, I am going to be selling a mill, a lathe and a bunch of tooling that belonged to a long time friend and neighbor of mine that recently passed. Unfortunately I am not close to Houston but maybe some of the tooling would work for you. Just started to do an inventory of it. If you tell me what your looking for I'll see if it's here. If so I'll sharpen my pencil.

docclock, Sorry to hear about your friend. If you put together a list I would like to look at it also, Especially if there are some small tools, as right now I have what people call a Mini, or mico mill and lathe (sherline) and could always use more tools for it.
Graduation1, Problem has been that I have not seen any good Mills or Lathes for a decent price here in South Texas really, Most are snatched up quick and go across the border. I have been trying to keep my eyes open for things from Austin, SA, all the way over to Houston. But have not seen much when I look. YOu almost have to look every day or multiple times a day because most of the ones with a decent price go quick from what I have seen. I have though about trying to find one that someone in here is getting rid of and paying for shipping as then I know it should be decent..

There are several small Harbor Freight type mills in the Houston area Craigslist, as of earlier this week. Sorry, I don't remember the prices, though.

I too had a Sherline. Excellent size for fabricating clock parts. Most of the tooling I have to figure out is going to be too large for that machine but i will keep it in mind. His lathe is a 13" x 40" and I think the mill has about a 16" swing. Will know more in a couple few days or so as i go thru it.

Thank you all for your input! docclock, I too am very sorry to hear about your friend and hope that he at least got good use and enjoyed the tools while he was with us. :( Regarding the tooling, I would certainly find it a good home, though the truth is I could use some advice as to what I would need. Is there any way you would recommend I go about figuring out what I would need? I'm very interested - I just need a push in the right direction to get a starter list put together.

I will also check Craigslist again to look for mills. Must have missed them when I checked earlier. Thank you guys!

Honestly i dont know. All my work was micro. Mostly done on a ww lathe with a tip over T-rest using carbide scribes ground to shape for the cutter. The Sherline i had like yours was actually very large. Most parts i had to make were so small you could barely see any tapers or shoulders I was cutting without the aid of magnification.

When you check craigslist - search both 'mill' and 'milling', as in milling machines. CL does not do a good job of relating obviously similar words. Also, I've found mills e.g. Milling machines, in heavy equipment as well as tools. Again, with multiple individual searches . Alas, It becomes a way of life after awhile... Good luck.

Back