WTB -QCTP for a Craftsman/Atlas 6" lathe

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
I've been told what I want is an OXA, but if you have other suggestions, PM me.

jack vines

The proper size of a QCTP is based on the distance from the Top Surface of your Compound to the Center Line of the Chuck.

Shar's shows an AXA tool post as compatible for 9" to 12" lathes. With the Compound to Center Line Distance of 0.6"-1.75"

I agree w/ Nogoingback. An AXA is probably too big. Even though Shars says the Compound to Center Line distance can be as small as 0.6" I don't think I would want an AXA if my lathe had a 0.6" distance, as it would require the tool be at the very bottom of tool post. Below is a drawing from Shars showing the measurement I'm referring too.

axatoolpost_dimension.jpg

Shars table for recommended QCTP vs Lathe Size

QCTP Sizing.jpeg

Interesting that their chart show a 4-way Turret tool post instead of their AXA.

And it is sometimes shown as 0XA instead of OXA.

I have been very happy with the 0XA from Shars on my Atlas 618:

Think hard about what toolholders you expect to need and use. The knurling tool and boring bar holder that come with that set are very limited. I've ended up with quite a few more standard tool holders.

Craig

Right. If you have only one number 001 turning tool holder, you really are no better off than with the original lantern tool post. If you need to change to a different cutter, you have to set it all up (get it on-center) before you can use it. I have an AXA on my 12" and have 8 or 10 #101 holders already set up with some type of cutter including beveling, grooving, etc. When I need to change cutters, I grab the holder that already has the cutter set up in it.

QCTP are really nice. Hieever, please remember that depending on your budget there are other options. Far much less expensive. This is a pic of a TP off a 6" Craftsman. It could be made with a hacksaw, file, hand drill and some taps. Make a few shims and you have a rigid TP suitable for carbide.

Daryl
MN
07fd46bb67cfd60147542c3290520c73.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Thanks mickri!

There are many options. The myth is that you need lots of money to have fun and be safe in a hobby shop.

Even worse is the fallacy that expensive machines and tooling produces good parts. While fancy stuff makes it easier to do good work faster, quality parts are really made by people...

Daryl
MN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a BXA qctp set made by borstar and couldn't be happier. I had it sitting side by side with an Aloris version a size larger (cxa). Other than the size difference, I could find Absolutely no reason for such a drastic price point difference between the 2 brands!
I got my set off of Ebay and it came with 7 different types of tool holders which included 2 oversized holders for $150ish shipped to my door. For that price alone I couldn't buy the material needed not to mention the value of my time from spending hours working in the shop to make tools so I can use my tools....it was a no brainer!

Back