WTB Hendey lathe parts.....

stevewatr

Active User
Registered
Broke a couple items on my early chain drive 8 speed gearhead Hendey Lathe. Anybody have, or know of any Hendeys being parted out?
I can repair the items, but figured I take a shot in the dark at getting replacements before a repair attempt. Figure I'll stick weld the foot, not sure on how to handle the tapering jig repair, braze maybe? The photo of the tapering jig was taken before I broke it. I ended up breaking off the u shaped end of the slotted part. It screw onto the back of the cross slide.
Regards,
Steve W.
hendey taper2.JPGDSC07493.JPG

hendey taper2.JPG DSC07493.JPG

That's tragic!!! What happened?

My daily driver is an old Hendey and I would be in the fetal position if that was my machine.

OK I will give you my opinion on the taper piece that is broken. If the break is clean, build a jig to hold the two pieces in perfect alignment that leaves the the broken area totally exposed. Now you have a "cracked" part if you follow my thinking. Grind the crack out thoroughly thru in a V shape. Braze it up. Grind and machine to spec.

Here is a link to a thread where I repaired a broken cast with this method. Check it out. Maybe it will help.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/18483-Large-Rotary-Table-Refurbish?highlight=shaper

I would try the leg too myself.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions about fixing broken castings. So let me say this is the way I handle it. Not claiming its better, best or the only way and not trying to start a debate here. Just sharing my opinion with a fellow Hendey owner.

That's tragic!!! What happened?

My daily driver is an old Hendey and I would be in the fetal position if that was my machine.

This machine is new to me, and believe me, I was sick about the 2 mishaps that happened while moving it into my basement.

I will try to repair the items myself. Silicon bronze brazing is an option, as is nickel welding rod, or a specialty rod like muggy weld, ferroweld, etc. I will float the question on welding on the welding thread before I try anything.

As for exactly what boneheaded moves did I to cause the damage, I have a whole series of videos showing the lathe move adventure to date. If you have some time to waste, here is the link to part one of 14, and growing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1RW-p5Beon8kQxDxfV8D95apMh5gVOW

I have a hendey 16 by 8 with a tapper and the top of the apron ass. made in 1920 don.t know if it would help or not. gotogojo
This machine is new to me, and believe me, I was sick about the 2 mishaps that happened while moving it into my basement.

I will try to repair the items myself. Silicon bronze brazing is an option, as is nickel welding rod, or a specialty rod like muggy weld, ferroweld, etc. I will float the question on welding on the welding thread before I try anything.

As for exactly what boneheaded moves did I to cause the damage, I have a whole series of videos showing the lathe move adventure to date. If you have some time to waste, here is the link to part one of 14, and growing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1RW-p5Beon8kQxDxfV8D95apMh5gVOW

I have a hendey 16 by 8 with a tapper and the top of the apron ass. made in 1920 don.t know if it would help or not. gotogojo

Hello,
The tapering attachment on a 16" is bigger than he one on my 12", the hole spacing and other dimensions will all be different. But thanks anyways for trying.

Regards,
Steve.

Back