WTB: BXA qctp

Understood,
But am hoping for detailed pictures.

Daryl
MN

The indexing holder.
I would not have had the $ to make the buy angways.
But if they were made once they can be made again.

Thanks,
Daryl
MN

sorry Daryl, those are the only pics I have of the indexable holder. It wouldn't be impossible to make the indexable feature, but it wouldn't be easier. The insert holder has a number of grooves on the underside (one of the pics should show it) and the mating part of the holder has 4 equally spaced ridges that fit into them. The front part of the holder has a male boss that fits into the dovetailed part and is held tight with a bolt from the other end of the dovetailed part. This allows for changing the side rake, not entirely sure for what purpose though. Hopefully Joe will be able to help out with more precise measurements.

The front part of the holder has a male boss that fits into the dovetailed part and is held tight with a bolt from the other end of the dovetailed part. This allows for changing the side rake, not entirely sure for what purpose though. Hopefully Joe will be able to help out with more precise measurements.
Yes, that's the part I was trying to imagine ... what it might look like. Thanks.
Am also thinking about the various threads about the tangential tooling (eccentric engineering) as carbide gets so pricey.

Funny thing is I don't have a problem with failure. I count it as shop time and add to my pile of precision scrap.
It's all part of the learning curve. And yes, in the end it may have been cheaper to buy the tool holder. But there is no fun in that.

Thanks,
Daryl
MN

I think you could design it however you wish - the tongue and groove part is just one way of providing repeatable indexing. You could make the tongue larger and have only one, with grooves matching the angles you might want to present the tool at, eg. 90deg would give a 30deg chamfer. Or you could have a matching waffle design, like you find on various adjustable bits'n'pieces, which would be more granular. Even a spring loaded ball that locates on a divot could work, though I'm not sure that would provide a sufficiently positive lock. A rotary table would make things easier, but you could manage without one.

I personally wouldn't both with the adjustable tilt feature, I can't honestly thing of a situation other than thread cutting that would need it.

I also wouldn't worry about the cost of carbide, one insert that size is about $1.50 for 6 cutting tips. Even a positive insert, like a TCMT, is pretty cheap at the same $ for 3 tips.

Back