Wtb: Browne & Sharpe Caliper

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My vintage Helios dial indicator died today. Knew it was coming.
I'd like to replace her with a Brown Sharpe 577 vernier caliper.
I'd consider a Brown Sharpe 599 dial indicator.
Thought I'd check here before I go to Ebay. Perhaps somebody is pushing old school around in the bottom of their tool box.
Meanwhile I'll put the batteries back in the new fangled Mitutoyo. Arrgh.
I really want retro!!

Daryl
MN

I have a decent vintage Helios caliper in the original case, but it is vernier, not dial. That is even more retro...

Bob,
Another Helios would be great!
My preference would be vernier.
I've got some low end ones which work well for wood working. Helios is a much better option.
Is she up for sale? Any idea what you'd like for her?
Ulmadoc is putting together a "care package" perhaps we could bundle the shipping.
Long Island Indicator is touting the B&S vernier over other options. That's why I was defaulting to B&S.
My used Helios dial worked well for along time.

Daryl
MN

May I ask what Helios caliper you have? My grandfather left behind a 11" pair of long jaw dial calipers, I rarely find a use for them but they're one of those things I'll never let go. I prefer them over Starrett or Brown and Sharpe calipers.

Daryl -

I just ran across a Salem, OR Craigslist ad (2 months old) that includes 6" and 12" vernier calipers. No brand names specified, and the pictures aren't very helpful. But you might want to get in touch with the seller. Best wishes!

http://salem.craigslist.org/tls/5306246743.html

Thanks for the lead!!
Nice stuff.

Daryl
MN

The two with the single rev dial are in great condition. I like the helios.
I always preferred those over the double-revs, for I always managed to mess up the count.
My first caliper, a Starrett which has to be over 35yo now, is resting comfortably in it's case
with a busted pinion gear. I checked into getting it repaired once and they wanted $125.00

Back