WTB Bridgeport J Head - South Florida Area

joec2000

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a Bridgeport Series I J head in the South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward or Dade counties) area. I did some machining 20 years ago in college and I am looking to get back into it. My perfect machine would have seen no/minimal production use (perhaps sitting in the corner of a tool room or something)

Must haves:
  1. J head w/ step pulley. I will need to put a VFD on it anyway to convert single phase power to 3 phase, so I will get speed control from the VFD.
  2. Must be in mechanically good shape overall, and complete. Not looking to buy something that is worn out, neglected, beat up or needs significant restoration work. Some examples of what I mean by this:
    1. Chrome ways present, in good shape and scraping still visible
    2. Table in good shape - a few "oopsies" here and there are OK, but nothing that affects machine accuracy or operation
    3. Spindle is quiet and runs true
    4. Minimal X & Y backlash. I hate to put a number on this, but let's say <0.025
  3. Assistance with transportation to a residential garage - that could be as simple as recommending a rigger that can be trusted. I have absolutely zero experience moving something this heavy.
Nice to have but not required (in rough order):
  1. DRO (I might add TouchDRO anyway)
  2. One shot lube
  3. Power feeds
  4. Working VFD included
  5. Vice, collets, tooling, etc
  6. Power/pneumatic draw bar
Don't care too much about:
  1. Age of machine
  2. Cosmetic condition. If it is "beautiful", great, but not something I am willing to pay extre for
I'm willing to wait for the right machine, not in a big rush. Based on what I have seen for sale so far, I should be able to get my "must haves", and perhaps a few "nice to haves" sprinkled in, for < $5,000 in my area.

Feel free to reach out or post here with any leads :)

Thanks,

- Joe

Back