WTB Atlas M-series horizontal mill - I am in SE Michigan

hcdozier

ELGIN HM-5C Mill
Registered
Looking for a decent M-series horizontal mill. Preferably MF series with auto X-axis feed table.
Doesn't have to be pristine, but would like the thing to work, meaning no major issues with gears, belts, motors or bearings.
Would like to have the safety guards as I have grandkids!

You can email me direct with information on any mills you might have or know about.

Thanks!

Hank Dozier

Hmmm.
I'm likely picking up a Van Norman 22LU in March.
I am trying to figure out how I can keep my Van Norman 6 and make them both fit.
I've got all the collets, arbors, etc. She is currently 110v (not OEM).
If you have any interest let me know. I'll haul her most of the distance.
I still need to make a decision.....
But, if I knew she were going to a go home....

Daryl
MN

Daryl.....

Am I correct in assuming that the Van Norman mill is replacing an Atlas MFx mill in your possession right now?

If so, I would be interested in in the Atlas come March timeframe or whenever you get the Van Norman.
You can shoot me an email off-forum to "dozierhc<at>aol<dot>com" with specifics on the mill, the tooling, and what you think is a fair price.

Your mill would be going to a good home. I don't try and abuse equipment. I've had to fix too many other peoples' mistakes to want to be like them!

Thanks,

Hank Dozier

Hmmm.
I'm likely picking up a Van Norman 22LU in March.
I am trying to figure out how I can keep my Van Norman 6 and make them both fit.
I've got all the collets, arbors, etc. She is currently 110v (not OEM).
If you have any interest let me know. I'll haul her most of the distance.
I still need to make a decision.....
But, if I knew she were going to a go home....

Daryl
MN

Nope, I don't have an Atlas mill. However, I can look for one!!

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just acquired an Atlas model MFB mill that was located about an hour o so away near Toledo, OH.

Pretty much complete except for theM1-22 support arm. Its a little rough and of course has the usual paint over grease and dirt finish, but everything works and the gearbox and motor drive are both quiet.
The arbor runs true even without being located in the outboard support bushing, so that's a biggie as far as I am concerned.
Its a less than pleasing green color (where its not ORANGE!), so again I am going to be looking at stripping, cleaning and painting.

I am now looking for the aforementioned cutter cover/support arm (M1-22).

If anyone has a spare, please contact me via PM on this site with details such as condition, price and location.

Hank Dozier

Hank,

I don't have an extra but did find one on eBay several months ago (to go on my MFA). However, the guard is not a support. Only the MFC had an added support. Which cannot be mounted with the M1-22 in place. It also takes a different main support, and a different Y-axis (IN-OUT) feed screw and bearing.

Hank,

I am going to send you the MMB-5 which makes it easier to see the differences between the MFB and MFC.

Robert...

Got the files. Was not aware that the cutter guard offered no added rigidity, even marginal.
May have to start fabricating an arbor support ala M*C series mill and obviously the overarm end that goes with it.
I have seen drawings/sketches in one or more of the users' groups I can use as a guide.

Haven't seen a drawing or sketch of the Y-axis feed screw, so if you know of one, let me know.
The bearing and the collar (non-tapered) I guess I will hope to find on E-prey if Clausing doesn't still make them.

Hank,

In general, here's the deal for dealing with Clausing WRT parts and drawings. First you ask them if they have part number xxx for whatever machine. If they do, either buy it or not but don't bother to ask for a PDF of the drawing. If they don't have it and aren't just temporarily sold out, ask for a copy of the drawing. If they have the drawing, they will usually email you a PDF copy. The copy will probably be dirty as apparently most if not all of the drawings were well used when they scanned them. And they made no effort to clean them up (may not have had the capability). The M1-60 arbor support drawing I just sent you was probably obtained that way although I found it floating around the internet. Don't know why the right edge is cut off. Apparently whomever got it originally did clean it up but didn't try to get the missing tapped hole depth dimension. I usually clean up any drawings that I get from them.

I haven't asked Clausing for the feed screw and other parts drawings yet. If you get around to calling them before I do, and end up with the drawings, please send me a copy. Eventually, when we get Downloads running fully again, I'll upload any drawings that aren't already there.

Back