WTB Aloris QC tool post holder for South Bend 13 x 6 foot

illbeda

Registered
Registered
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this,just joined not long ago.
Looking to upgrade to a quick change tool post holder.
I see many on ebay but either to expensive,or cheap chinese stuff.
Isn't there anything in between ?

I was in your same position. I bit the bullet & bought all Made in USA Aloris stuff.

It was expensive & painful, but I am very happy with what I have.

Aloris has Phase 2 (or Phase ll). These are made in China.

I was in your same position. I bit the bullet & bought all Made in USA Aloris stuff.

It was expensive & painful, but I am very happy with what I have.

Aloris has Phase 2 (or Phase ll). These are made in China.
I'm not in dire need,my restored lathe can sit for months at a time before being pressed into service.
There is a well used one (Aloris) on ebay for a C note and shipping.
I'm a major tightwad and seeker of downright give away prices so might keep looking.
Anything produced from the Chinese anymore makes me sick to my stomach.

Yes it was not quite the right place since you are asking a question about purchasing, not directly soliciting a purchase. Also as a registered member, you do not have sufficient privileges to post in the buy& sell forum, a minimum Gold level donation is required. Hence, I have moved this thread.
To answer your question, I have a Phase II an Aloris and a Dorian, the latter are indeed better but the Phase II is decent enough for most work. The biggest difference is in the tool holders, particularly the screws, these are not as tight as the Domestic made holders. You can tune them up with better screws, locktite, nylock nuts, etc and make them much more reliable. If you can score a decent used Aloris then go for it, but remember the cost of the holders, as you'll probably wind up needing quite a few.

momoneyONCE ! :bawling: ONCE !

I'm perfectly happy with my Bostar AXA. It's no Aloris, but it's not junk either.

Doesn't take long for someone to throw their weight around....does it !

I buy my toolholders from All Industrial on eBay. They look just as nicely made as the one Aloris toolholder that I own
and I have zero complaints with them.

I buy my toolholders from All Industrial on eBay. They look just as nicely made as the one Aloris toolholder that I own
and I have zero complaints with them.
Same! I find them to be acceptably good. A user here I think replaced the allen head bolts with square head and was very happy.

I'm surprised to see that Aloris recommends BXA for the 13" southbend, so just make sure whatever you buy is the right size.

That said, if I was doing it again, I'd have gone with the Create-A-Tool one like Abom has. BUT that is also quite costly, and I probably wouldn't have as many tool holders as I do if I picked up that :)

I'll check em out,thx.
Aloris is just out of the question......wayyyy over priced,IMO.
I'll just stick with the lantern if worse comes to worse,not a big deal for me honestly.

Back