WTB- Aloris BXA qctp and tools

BEI

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased a 13”X30” Harrison lathe and need all the tooling. So, here goes the endless hunt for tools.

I have a BXA size piston type toolpost you can have for $25 plus postage. Holders from Shars or CDCO are inexpensive.

Have seen photos of the piston type but know little about them other than that seem to not very popular. Does the piston type and wedge type both use the same tool holders?

They use the same tool holders. The piston type is considered inferior to the wedge type. That is why I want to get rid of the piston type. It worked fine until I could find a wedge type on eBay at a decent price. If you want to buy new I suggest Ajax Indusries. They seem to have excellent pricing. Do not buy a type 16 tool holder that uses TPG inserts. The Alors design is flawed and does not properly retain the inserts. I bought one in the 70s that had the problem with insert clamping. I recently bought a new one based on an "improved" clamp design. I just returned it because it failed to retain the insert.

Last edited:
I have a piston type BXA and it works fine. Also have a wedge type AXA and it works good to.

No doubt new high quality is better but there’s no rule against having more than one.

John

In early 1981 I bought a Yuasa AXA piston type QCTP for the 12x36 lathe that I bought at the same time. Among other things I bought a 116 holder and have had no trouble with it. I don't know just how it differs from the Aloris #16. But I have lost track of the number of inserts that I have worn out in it.

Yuasa no longer makes QCTP's so the #216 that you would need would have to be a used one. I think that Yuasa sold the rights to the set to Shars. But they screwed the pooch and modified the 116, 216, etc but according to a photo that I have seen, they will not turn to a shoulder. So unless they have changed it back, don't buy the 216 from them.

As a general observation, in my opinion, the Yuasa piston type works just as well as any of the wedge types. Most of the Chinese made piston types have a round instead of a rectangular piston head and the pistons are smaller than in the original Yuasa design. That may be the reason that their repeatability has been reported as poor.

Regarding the #16 tool holder: In the 70s I bought a type 16 holder and found it useless. The inserts rotated out of position when attempting to take a cut. I rcently bought a #16 because Aloris had redesigned the clamp. I experienced the same problem with insert retention and returned the holder. I cannot recommend that anyone purchase the #16 holder for TPG inserts. I have the #16N for negative rake inserts. It works as it should.

I have a bxa bostar wedge style I’ll let go. Bought new from cdco replaced after about two years of use after finding a aloris from a member here. Wanted to experience the aloris hype which thinking of it isn’t much better imo.

Illinoyance, I was sorely tempted to take you up on that offer because it seems a very good price. But, i just couldn’t help wondering how well it will hold when I turn the threading tool upside down to thread away from the chuck. Anyway, I recently found a used Aloris on EBay and am eagerly awaiting its delivery.

I have never threaded upside down so I don't know the answer to your question.

Back