WTB: 13" Single Tumbler Gear Train Parts

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am in the last leg of the restoration of my 1941 13" lathe (113-B), with the smaller 1-7/8"-8 spindle, and single tumbler gear box.

I would like to replace a couple parts in the gear train, due to excessive wear. The lathe functions, but the wear in a couple of these gears make one heck of a racket. :)

What I am looking for is:

• the 18 tooth stud gear (PT612K18T1)
  • the sliding gear with the 24 tooth and 66 tooth gears (AS654T1).
  • the 32 tooth spindle output gear

I believe everything else is in serviceable condition or I have already found replacements.

Looking for either NOS or used in good condition with minimal wear.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3234.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a short video that demonstrates where I think the noise is coming from.

You could replace the gears but it probably won't be much quieter. That sound is typical of straight cut gears.
The gears don't look to be very worn from what I can tell from the photos. Slowing the machine down a little
would help some as far as noise is concerned which is what one would do anyway for cutting threads.

The video does not do this justice. The gears are worn to nearly a point.

If I can do better with less worn gears, why not try?

e4f9adb1f571a8f63ab772327241e9b2.jpg

a3d699aa8f89e2f1d76f1611dce2bbaa.jpg

8b51710a99e07fc0f1864fc29373b792.jpg

Thanks. It doesn’t make the lathe unusable, just noisy. And I would like to have these in better condition to lengthen it’s life and reduce the chance of a broken gear tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!!!

I was able to replace all of the gears I indicated above.

AND IT IS STILL NOISY AS HECK!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think it's the primary drive gear, now. Although I needed to replace those gears, it wasn't the primary source of the noise after all. It was the sliding gear to primary drive gear connection when the sliding gear is in (running faster). Good grief.

I have to laugh, because that was a lot of work tracking them down and modifying a replacement for the spindle gear. Oh well.

Back