Would you buy this lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget about using the tailstock quill for a press.
I'm surprised that the ways didn't look like they were completely destroyed. I'm sure they were swayed like an old nags back.
Nice welding gloves btw.

When I was a young man in college, I worked for a machine shop that did lots of drive shafts for heavy logging trucks and farm equipment. Our process was a lot the same. We used a MIG welder and covered the ways with a fireproof blanket. I did wear safety glasses and a welding hood.
A new guy asked me one time how I balanced those drive shafts. I said "On my finger" he looked at me with a funny look and walked away.

Loggers tore up a a lot of stuff. They would get all chained up and stuck in the snow or mud with a load on and twist the shaft like a cork screw.

D

How often do you get the opportunity to buy a combination lathe and anvil?
...and yeah, where exactly is the welder ground? that can't be good for the headstock and tailstock bearings.
-brino

Fun to watch how other places do things.

I think this is horrible. No safety glasses, long sleeves. They are reaching in while things are still rotating. Welding on the lathe with no protection for the ways? No welding gloves or apron. This cannot possibly be in the USA. I have been in some foreign shops and safety was of no concern. I think this is a good example of how to get hurt very seriously.

My FIL’s buddy was mostly doing hotrod and dune buggy modded drive lines. There was very few with the expertise and would take on the liability. He was an interesting character because he had built up his biz by taking advantage of being offered heavy equipment most couldn’t use or move and it just fed on itself always expanding. In his case like my FIL the were getting to old and his son was just barely functional and had no aptitude and so both my FIL and his buddy were wanting to pass it on. I’d been in that situation before and it was not going to work. I couldn’t work for the heirs and wasn’t going to end up with the business. Sad they both passed with nobody to keep the biz alive. Both old guys were geniuses in their own rights. To bad their sons were maroons, as Bugs Bunny used to call ‘em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back