Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?

36VDC, 500W, 18.3A, 2500 rpm
The spindle is only around 9/16” dia so not very beefy and I would have to make a decent pulley but at that speed it would have to be very small to get a reasonable reduction which would also mean a greater chance of belt slippage.

If I use the original speed controller from an E-bike would the low speed still have sufficient torque for the lathe.
I would also need to add a cooling fan.

Why do I want to use it?
Because its been sitting on the shelf brand new for 6 years when I was going to use it for an E-bike.

I have been considering getting a 1hp 3 phase motor and vfd but this would be a far cheaper method if its strong enough and can run long enough without overheating.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone.

How are you going to supply 36VDC?

I'd think batteries would be a PITA and a DC power supply that would provide adequate current would be expensive.

Might work, here’s a cheap way to do the power supply.

500 watt is about 2/3 HP. That seems to be slightly under powered for a 9 x 20 but I think it would depend on the diameter you were turning.
One point I would make. My ebikes use brushless motors. At low speeds under load the distinct pulses are very noticeable and rotation is not smooth. This would be unsatisfactory for a lathe. You would have to experiment to see if faster speeds affected the surface finish and where the break point was. This may also vary with the motor and yours could be smoother.
Robert

500 watt is about 2/3 HP. That seems to be slightly under powered for a 9 x 20
At low speeds under load the distinct pulses are very noticeable and rotation is not smooth.
Thats what I was unsure of, thanks
I will go 3 phase and vfd.
I used toroidal transformers for the 24Vdc motors on the mirror grinding machine but they also look way too expensive for this task.

You will like the VFD, worth the extra expense for sure.

Back