Would Like More Info On This Birmingham Lathe

Ale789

Registered
Registered
I inherited this lathe I can see that it is a Birmingham brand and the manufacturing date is 1992. I also have some tooling that goes with the lathe. I am wondering if you guys can help me identify what the tooling that I have is. Also do you guys have any more info on the Lathe such as the size that would be great. What do you think the Lathe and all the tooling is worth together?

Attachments

• IMG_8461.JPG
    IMG_8461.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8465.JPG
    IMG_8465.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8466.JPG
    IMG_8466.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8469.JPG
    IMG_8469.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8470.JPG
    IMG_8470.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8473.JPG
    IMG_8473.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8474.JPG
    IMG_8474.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8475.JPG
    IMG_8475.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8476.JPG
    IMG_8476.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8477.JPG
    IMG_8477.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8478.JPG
    IMG_8478.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8479.JPG
    IMG_8479.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8480.JPG
    IMG_8480.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8482.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 146
Wow, that's in immaculate shape and well tooled. No idea on price but someone will be along who does.

Birmingham is a marketing/selling company, they don't manufacture anything. This particular lathe looks like a 12 x 36 or 13 x 40. Made in Taiwan, by some unknown company, but most similar machines are of very good quality. For reference, the new Birmingham lathes, are made in China.

Considering all the tooling, I'd guess at a value of $3k. The Aloris tool post is a valuable unit, which it worth several hundred by itself. Of course, I have no idea if Sandpoint has much of a machinery crowd.

Last edited:
Looks like possibly a 1340
Measure the swing over the bed
Gap bed! (gap beds make my heart a-flutter)

Last edited:
That's a somewhat generic import lathe. However, a lot of tools from Taiwan in the are were pretty good. If I was in the market for a lathe, I'd absolutely take a look at this one. It's in a sweet spot for size - not too big for most people, yet large enough to do work.

Lathes generally list 2 sizes - the maximum part diameter and the maximum length of a workpiece.

You can find #1 by measuring from the center of the spindle to the top of the ways - and by eye it looks to be roughly 7". So your lathe probably has a 14" swing (the largest diameter that fits without touching anything).
The second is the distance from the spindle to the tailstock. Probably 36-40"

If there's a model number anywhere on the lathe it'll probably include 1436 (or whatever size it actually is).

It is very nicely kitted out. The tool post is an Aloris, which is expensive original, and not an import copy. The chucks are Bison. Assuming the rest of it is similar quality, the tooling probably cost more than the lathe.

How much is it worth? To whom?
If it's the insurance company replacing everything after a total loss, it would be in the neighborhood of $10,000
If you're selling everything to a single buyer in the next 30 days (not holding out for absolute top dollar) probably $3,000.
If you part it out a single piece at a time, you'd get another $1,000 at best.

If there's tooling I didn't see, like measuring equipment the value goes up quickly. I have a small tool box that would cost somewhere near $10k to replace, and it's mostly measuring equipment (purchased used for pennies on the dollar).

The prices are based on my experience and my area. Sandpoint is more isolated than I am, and it will depend on how many folks in your area are looking for tools like this.

I bought this lathe new in 1992. It is a 14x40. It looks like the 6” and 8” chuck might be the originals.

It was a fairly well-made lathe for the price but a little light weight for my needs. I thought it had some rigidity issues probably due to a narrow headstock and narrow ways for the swing. The only other issue I saw with mine was that it had a 2hp single-phase motor which tended to get pretty warm even with light duty work. The machine also was a little noisy in the upper speed ranges.

Not sure how much I can remember as I sold it almost 30 years ago. But apparently, I kept the brochure. It includes a list of the standard accessories.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Looks like it was very well cared for.
Martin

I bought this lathe new in 1992. It is a 14x40. It looks like the 6” and 8” chuck might be the originals.

It was a fairly well-made lathe for the price but a little light weight for my needs. I thought it had some rigidity issues probably due to a narrow headstock and narrow ways for the swing. The only other issue I saw with mine was that it had a 2hp single-phase motor which tended to get pretty warm even with light duty work. The machine also was a little noisy in the upper speed ranges.

Not sure how much I can remember as I sold it almost 30 years ago. But apparently, I kept the brochure. It includes a list of the standard accessories.

View attachment 464961

View attachment 464960
I bought a similar one Dec 23 but have no manual for it, looking for a wiring diagram and how to operate the threading levers etc....

Back