Would hydraulic cement work to fill a drill press column?

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I have been reading a lot about epoxy granite lately and it seems people always bring up concrete lathes from WW1. I know the arguments against using Portland cement based concrete such as shrinking, long cure times, etc. I saw someone mention hydrolic cement as a possible filler but no one commented on if it would work or not. This is based more on curiosity then anything else as I'm not likely to try it anytime soon. So would it be a viable filler for columns or bases of machines? I believe it expands as it hardens so that's one positive aspect of it. Does anyone know if it has a cure rate that's faster then Portland cement? Any reasons it shouldn't work? I think it may lead to corrosion where it contacts metal due to moisture and or Ph level.
I just looked it up after posting this and it seems hydraulic cement is modified Portland cement so most likely would not be suitable for filling machines.

I have been reading a lot about epoxy granite lately and it seems people always bring up concrete lathes from WW1. I know the arguments against using Portland cement based concrete such as shrinking, long cure times, etc. I saw someone mention hydrolic cement as a possible filler but no one commented on if it would work or not. This is based more on curiosity then anything else as I'm not likely to try it anytime soon. So would it be a viable filler for columns or bases of machines? I believe it expands as it hardens so that's one positive aspect of it. Does anyone know if it has a cure rate that's faster then Portland cement? Any reasons it shouldn't work? I think it may lead to corrosion where it contacts metal due to moisture and or Ph level.
I just looked it up after posting this and it seems hydraulic cement is modified Portland cement so most likely would not be suitable for filling machines.

The posts in the ground floor of my barn are steel pipe filled with ordinary concrete. Seems to work well: they've been holding up the haymow for about 75 years.

In concrete faster curing always comes with lower strength so you want the slowest cure your schedule can tolerate. For machine bases I'd consider high-strength magnetite concrete with chopped wire reinforcing.

You may be thinking of grout ... something like http://www.fivestarproducts.com/products/cement-grouts/grout.html

Your best source might be a good building materials store (one that specializes in stone, etc.). Home Depot might be OK, if the sales people are knowledgable enough. As far as I know, grout either expands or doesn't shrink as it sets.

As for cure times ... yes, they're long compared to epoxies (a couple days vs an hour or a couple hours), but not too bad. And the grout will most likely have set up enough for you to reassemble the tool after an overnight cure. The data sheet for fivestar's product suggests a three day or longer cure, but that's when placing heavy machinery atop the grout. If you've filled a column and are only moving it around to remount it, there's no great load placed on the partially cured grout.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help; in the '70's and 80's I've been in high school shops that had a concrete/grout product in the column of the drill presses. Not sure exactly what it was but in one shop, the masonry product was there for at least 20 years.

I don't know if this will help; in the '70's and 80's I've been in high school shops that had a concrete/grout product in the column of the drill presses. Not sure exactly what it was but in one shop, the masonry product was there for at least 20 years.

I think concrete inside a lightweight column would dampen vibration. Sand might work as well.

I saw someone mention hydrolic cement as a possible filler but no one commented on if it would work or not. This is based more on curiosity then anything else as I'm not likely to try it anytime soon. So would it be a viable filler for columns or bases of machines? I believe it expands as it hardens so that's one positive aspect of it. Does anyone know if it has a cure rate that's faster then Portland cement?

Hydraulic cement is made to fill holes under tough conditions, like against flowing water. It expands, and sets damn near instantly. The first time I used it I mixed with slightly warm water. As I stirred it, I could feel it starting to harden. I tossed it out of the pail as a stiff liquid, and it landed as a solid. 30 seconds, tops. Cool water slows it down. Dennis

Thanks I may give it a try I can't see it causing any problems even if it doesn't help anything. I have used it before to mold model rocket engines and to fix concrete but was just wondering if anyone had any experience using it for a machine.

My drill to mill conversion has the column filled with hydraulic cement; Been working swell for a year now

This what I use for over 40 years works great
Note to avoid using expanding cement I use a bolt I can control expanding[

Dave

QUOTE=SE18;248823]My drill to mill conversion has the column filled with hydraulic cement; Been working swell for a year now[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• -2-improverigidityreducevibration-on-columns.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 50
Thanks that's good to hear I've actually been thinking about converting a drill or building a light milling machine until I can get a bigger one

Back