Worn ways?

canerodscom

Active User
Registered
I have a well used 1973 model Atlas Craftsman Mk II with which I struggle to do quality work repeatably. Recently I re-tightened all the jibs on the saddle and cross slide to keep things nice and snug. I noticed that the fit seems just right near the headstock, but too tight near the tailstock end of the ways. That brings up a couple of questions:

Do the symptoms suggest that the ways are significantly worn near the headstock?

If so, is there anything I can do about it and if I can, should I?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Dear Canerodscom,

From what you have described, your lathe ways are worn, but this is not the end of the world. Before you start tearing the machine down for a bed regrind and or a rescrape of the ways, to restore them beack to factory or better specs, you need to assess the degree of wear and out of tollerance. I would go on to say that a clunker lathe may only need some TLC to get her running within acceptable parameters and be accurate enough for the home workshop.

When I did my aprentiship final exams, I was allocated the worst lathe in the workshop and only had a weeks turning experience on the machine before producing my trade masterpiece, so to say. That was many years ago and the journeymen in the shop helped me out a bit, by giving me the following advice;

Take a piece of scrap round bar about 1 to 2 inches in diameter by about 8 inches long and tighten it into your 3 or 4 jaw chuck, holding about 2 inches in the chuck for rigidity. Then take a rough and then a finishing cut over the 6 inch long bar. By doing this, you have made a home made reference test bar to see how much the lathe is worn or out, where most turning jobs get done.

Now measure the diameters at the end of the bar and at the closest end to the chuck. This will tell you the amount of off true that the headstock spindle is to the lathe bed. The ideal will of course be 0.0 inch difference between the two measurements, but even on a new lathe, this is not always a given. Next, have a close look at the finish that you have obtained on your home made test piece. A rather rough finish as a final cut may indicate to you a problem with headstock spindle bearings, vibrations induced by belt drives, rough spindle drive gears, loose compound slide, loose cross slide jibs or compound slide jibs, worn or loose cross slide thread nuts, dings with burrs on the lathe bed, a poorly sharpened tool bit and a host of other things that I may not even be aware of.

Then, using a dial test indicator and magnetic base mounted on the cross slide, measure the underside (or overside) along the centreline of the lathe spindle axis. This will indicate amount of drop (or rise) in the lathe bed, in relation to the test piece. You will have to correct the measurements obtained using the DTI, from what you have previously measured, with regards to the taper of your home made test piece. While you have the DTI setup, place it at the end of the test piece (furthest away from the chuck) and pull the test piece up and see if there is slack in the headstock bearings. You may be able to adjust the headstock bearings a little to reduce an up or down deflection of the lathe spindle, which should be 0.0 slack on a taper roller bearing headstock or 0.001" per inch of spindle diameter on a bushed headstock bearing.

As you can see, what I'm trying to say is that you may be able to eliminate some of the lathes problems by a process of elimination, which has worked well for me in the past.

Once you have corrected some of the faults that you have found by doing the process above, you can continue as follows;

Using the same piece of material that you have used to make your home made test piece, centre drill both ends. Then, using another piece of scrap bar, turn up a dead centre in the chuck, using the compound slide. Set up your test piece in the lathe, between centres, using a dog to drive the home made test bar, take a roughing and finishing cut over the length of the bar and measure the diameters of each end of the bar. Any differences in diameter can now be adjusted by adjusting the tailstock off-set. (Tailstocks can be used for taper turning, therefore have a means of adjustment from side to side. Again take another cut, after adjustment of the tailstock and compare the measurements obtained. You should be able to remove all taper from your home made test piece, by repeating this operation until the taper is zero.

Again, when you have eliminated the home made test piece taper, using a magnetic base mounted on the cross slide and DTI, run the DTI under (or above) the home made test bar, as done before and compare the difference between the chuck side and the tailstock side readings. This will indicate to you the amount that the tailstock is out, in a vertical direction, in relation to the headstock centreline. Of course, using home made test pieces of different lengths, you will start to be able to plot onto a graph the amount of wear that has taken place on the bed, where the tailstock bears down onto the bed. It's normal that the tailstock will wear in a way that the tailstock centreline is below that of the headstock centreline.

You can go on by looking for a round piece of 1/2 inch thick round plate, as big a diameter as what will fit into the lathe and take a roughing and finishing facing cut, using the cross slide. By placing a straight edge on the finish cut surface, you will be able to observe if the cross slide is indeed 90 degrees to the lathe spindle axis. If a feeler gauge blade can fit between the straight edge and the workpiece at the centre of the workpiece, then the cross slide is worn. (ie Look for a dish faced surface - concave or convex.) A simple adjustment of the cross slide jibs may greatly improve your lathes accuracy.

There are other ways of checking a lathe for accuracy, such as ground test bars, etc. but I prefer the price of a piece of scrap to that of a factory made ground test bar with a certificate of accuracy in a nice wooden box that will most probable end up going to the auctioners when you shuffle off.

While I'm no expert on lathes, I did manage to pass my trade test on the klunker lathe. Even the shop stewart was impressed as to what I did to the klunker lathe in the short period that I worked on it. They even started using the klunker lathe for production work, in the shop after I left for greener pastures.

I hope that my thoughts on your lathe problems are helpful to you and others and ask any other members to add to my writings just in case I have not got the message over clearly enough or if there is anything that can be added to help you fix your machine.

To all, a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year from Geoffrey Owen, Walvis Bay, Namibia.

Wow Geoffrey,

Sincere thanks for your in depth and thorough reply. I have already performed several of the things you suggest, but will continue to work to try to improve the tolerances achieved on this machine.

Harry

Geoffery has given a very comprehensive, and understandable, description of points to check for the lathe cutting a taper -- but, I would like to add the importance of getting the lathe level.

I recently finished a 1944 South Bend 10L that had been pretty badly abused, with visible wear marks in the 4-6" under the chuck. I needed to see how it was going to cut, so I first chucked up a 1 1/2" bar like Geoffery described, mine ended up with 8-9" out of the chuck... The lathe was cutting about .005-006 taper in that distance. The next thing I did was to start the leveling process. After several cuts of .008-10 across the bar & adjusting the bolts on the lathe legs, I was closing in on the "perfect cut" Its a 'fiddly' process and my buddy and I spent a good hour 'tweaking' the 'twist' of the bed, slipping past a taper at the TS, to a taper at the chuck, and did indeed attain a reading of around .0002-.0003 difference on each end on the bar. We never even tried to see just how much wear there was, just wanted the lathe to cut straight.

Even with that, I might go out there now and chuck up a piece of different metal and the temperature be 30-40° colder and the ground wetter (or maybe I didnt sleep in a holiday inn last night!) than the day that I leveled it and may have a .002-3 taper.

I would recommend determining if that taper in your lathe can be corrected with leveling first, and if no luck pursue the items Geoffery suggested...

Dear Harry,

Well, there you go. I hadn't even considered the levelling of the machine that "Pacer" has suggested doing. His description is clear to me. I learn something else.:biggrin:

I have recently completed the rebuilding (and hand scraping of the ways) of a South Bend 9" X 36" model C lathe that I will be posting as a rebuild article soon.

I'm into the rebuilding of machines more than the using of them, unless it's to make a part to fix a machine. The time that it took me to rebuild the SB was around 10 months, 2wo hours a day, so unless you have plenty of time to spare, you are wise to try to fix your machine by elimination, as described, and learn to live within the parameters of your machine.

It's better to know the limitations of your machine than to take a new one and find that it gives you the same inaccuracies as your old one.

Enjoy the process......Geoffrey.

OT...... Harry, do you use "canerods" on any other forums?

Thank you Pacer, that's certainly a possibilty. In fact just this afternoon I noticed that one of the bolts used to level the lathe has somehow vibrated loose. I'll check that as soon as I head back out to the shop. In which direction do you suggest leveling first? And by the way, looks like we're neighbors. I'm in northeast Louisiana.

And Tony Wells -- yes, I use canerods on several forums. I'm a full time maker of bamboo fly rods and primarily use my lathes for making parts for the rods, including the ferrules which join the rod sections and the reel seats which keep the reel from falling into the river.

Thanks to all,

Harry

Harry, I thought probably so. Is ARF one of your other hangouts? I don't recall seeing your real name there, but there can't be that many cane rod makers these days. You'll find my posts under "GrayLox" over there.

Anyway, welcome to this forum. Lots of experienced members, plus lots of folks just starting out, so we get a variety of questions, and usually some pretty reasonable answers.

Hmm, I'm not sure what ARF is, Tony. Can you give me a hint? Believe it or not, there are several hundred makers of bamboo rods working today. Very, very few make rods full time like I do, but there are plenty of garage makers and weekend warriors. I suppose that's a little like garage machinists and tinkerers.

And thanks for the welcome. The spirit of helpfulness here is a joy to be around. I'm looking forward to soaking up the information and sharing what I can as opportunities arise.

Best,
Harry

Hey Harry -- I hadnt even noticed that we were sorta neighbors! and Tony is close by also.

The horizontal level isnt critical - think lathes on a ship - the 'twist' is what is critical. Even so, try for horizontal leveling first, just get it close. Its good to have a quality level, - actually two of them, I borrow my friends - but at least use carpenter levels to get it as close as one of those will get it. We use 8" Starrett machinist levels.

Anyhow -- you'll be checking across the ways that the carriage rides on (dont use the part of the bed that the tail stock rides on) place a level across the ways under the chuck, just under where your bar comes out of the chuck, the other level will go at the tail stock end, 2-3" in from the end of the ways. The goal is to have both bubbles centered the exact same, using the tail stock levelers to 'twist' the lathe bed, if the lathe is still cutting some taper after getting the bubbles to match, experiment with adjusting the bubble a hair either way and see if it might change it. As mentioned before, if this doesnt work, then you may have to tweak the head stock - adjusting leveler bolts is much easier than trying to bring a head stock in! Then theres the really bad news on rare occasions - that the bed is worn enough to not get the taper out :(:( But, as Geoffery said, it doesnt often come to that. Looking at your pics, your lathe doesnt seem to be nearly at that extreme yet.

Back