Worn lathes

When I was first learning machinist work we had some worn lathes and I complained to the machinist leader about it. He said something to me I've always remembered: "Any machinist can run a new lathe, but it takes a good machinist to run a worn lathe."

You will learn SO MUCH more on a worn machine than one that is spot on. You'll learn how to better sneak up on dimensions, filing and polishing to size when needed... tweaking the leveling and/or adjusting the tail stock to get things running better where and when you need it most. The list goes on and on. Just think about the days of old with it's carbon steel tool bits, line shafts, files and fitting and such. Men did some of the most accurate and beautiful work ever done then. Truly an art.

Stick with that machine and learn away!

Ted
Yes your right on about the old time machinists they could take a chisel,file and scrapper and make their own lathes they were the real machinists true artists I wish I could have seen them make them.

It certainly will effect accuracy, but to what extent, time (only) will tell. Bottom line, you likely will be able to do a bunch of work with it. The shop I apprenticed in had several lathes that had worked 3 shifts a day since WW-2, they were in quite bad condition as regards wear to the ways and carriage, the compounds sat about 1/8" lower than original, yet they still made reasonably accurate parts.
Oh thanks that really makes me feel good about having this old SouthBend lathe.

Yes, one can still get reasonable accuracy from a worn lathe. In my experience, for most work, you really only need to hold a tight tolerance for a couple of inches or less, which should be no problem, even with a worn machine. However, If you need to hold an accurate diameter over the entire length of long part, it could be an issue. So far in my 35+ years of owning an old worn lathe, that situation has never arisen...
Thanks for your feedback do you think having an old American made lathe is better than the new Asian made lathes? Especially if its just a hobby lathe.

Ok thanks guys for all your help this makes me feel much better about my machine I sold a 9inch South Bend lathe to a guy who played a horn in the Omaha Symphony in Nebraska who made brass horns and sold them, his friend who came with him was a mechanical engineer who helped him make horns almost begged me to sell them my 13" South Bend lathe but I declined.

There a lot you can do to improve accuracy in your lathe.

Thanks for your feedback do you think having an old American made lathe is better than the new Asian made lathes? Especially if its just a hobby lathe.
It depends on the individual machines. There are certainly some very well made Asian lathes which would out preform a worn out American machine. Likewise, an old American lathe in good condition could be equal or better than top Asian machines. For hobby use I say go with whats available and fits your needs. Old Iron is great but the right one can be hard to find...

Back