Worn lathes

cannonmakerken

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old 13" South Bend lathe that has a ridge on the top of the ways is that going to be a bad for the accuracy of the lathe I know the lathe is WW2 vintage.I've also read and seen on youtube that you can still do good work on an old worn out lathes but others say you can't could I get some advice on this please thanks.

It certainly will effect accuracy, but to what extent, time (only) will tell. Bottom line, you likely will be able to do a bunch of work with it. The shop I apprenticed in had several lathes that had worked 3 shifts a day since WW-2, they were in quite bad condition as regards wear to the ways and carriage, the compounds sat about 1/8" lower than original, yet they still made reasonably accurate parts.

Yes, one can still get reasonable accuracy from a worn lathe. In my experience, for most work, you really only need to hold a tight tolerance for a couple of inches or less, which should be no problem, even with a worn machine. However, If you need to hold an accurate diameter over the entire length of long part, it could be an issue. So far in my 35+ years of owning an old worn lathe, that situation has never arisen...

When I was first learning machinist work we had some worn lathes and I complained to the machinist leader about it. He said something to me I've always remembered: "Any machinist can run a new lathe, but it takes a good machinist to run a worn lathe."

You will learn SO MUCH more on a worn machine than one that is spot on. You'll learn how to better sneak up on dimensions, filing and polishing to size when needed... tweaking the leveling and/or adjusting the tail stock to get things running better where and when you need it most. The list goes on and on. Just think about the days of old with it's carbon steel tool bits, line shafts, files and fitting and such. Men did some of the most accurate and beautiful work ever done then. Truly an art.

Stick with that machine and learn away!

Ted

The issue for me with tools that aren't accurate is that you never know if you are at fault or the tool. For example: if there is an issue with tolerances it is important to know that your protractor, micrometer , gage blocks , gage pins or surface plate are accurate. Then you know it is your technique.Same idea with a mill, lathe or saw.Improving technique is learning.

Give Eddie Van Halen a POS guitar and he'll make it sound great. Same Idea here.
mark
ps not to say that you don't need accurate measuring tools, you do. But they need not be expensive.

Last edited:
I agree with the other guys. When I get a call from a customer and he says "My lathe needs to be rebuilt" I go and look and see the wear up near the chuck and ask the owner does he turn between centers much? Most of the time they say no. Then I do a 2 collar test and twist the bed out of alignment so the lathe cuts straight. Then when they do between centers I say they can file of sand the bigger end near the chuck.
Pic's. 2 collar test and Tail Stock alignment after we twist the bed.

If he says he turns precision parts between centers I rebuild the machine. :) Rich

20180513_111348.jpg

20180518_154657.jpg

I agree with the other guys. When I get a call from a customer and he says "My lathe needs to be rebuilt" I go and look and see the wear up near the chuck and ask the owner does he turn between centers much? Most of the time they say no. Then I do a 2 collar test and twist the bed out of alignment so the lathe cuts straight. Then when they do between centers I say they can file of sand the bigger end near the chuck.
Pic's. 2 collar test and Tail Stock alignment after we twist the bed.

If he says he turns precision parts between centers I rebuild the machine. :) Rich
Oh okay thanks for the advice this lathe is just a hobby lathe I'm not making anythig for NASA plus I couldn't afford to rebuild it anyway all I've made is cannons the guys at my old job wanted to make for them and they liked my work.

Give Eddie Van Halen a POS guitar and he'll make it sound great. Same Idea here.
mark
ps not to say that you don't need accurate measuring tools, you do. But they need not be expensive.
Oh thanks how about Charlie Danials and his violin.

Since I have another lathe for the long stuff, I did not mind the wear on the ways of the 16" south bend I just picked up. 90% of what I plan it for, the compound will be the main part used.

What I did not expect, and will need to fix (Don't think the fix will be that hard), is the compound. When the gib is adjusted for the near end, you cannot move the compound to the other end, it starts getting hard to turn about the middle of travel.

Back