• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Worlds Smallest Ball Peen?

brav65

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
There are a few times I wish I had used a hammer that size instead of a full size, of course hind sight is 20/20 they say. Nice work! Now all you need is a draw bar small enough to wack with it

compsurge

Active User
"What is this? A hammer for ants?!" /Arrested Development meme

Great work! I bet it takes very steady hands to use ;)

Billh50

Active User
Are you making tools for a mechanics doll house ?

kvt

Active User
Agree are you trying to get the dolls or the bugs to start working. I know in Texas you could sit back and relax if you could get the bugs to work, There are a lot of them and some are big.

kvt

Active User
By the way Nice hammer. Did you have to use a microscope to do it. I would have a hard time without something. Again nice work.

magu

Very cool Andre Not sure what the application is, but cool none the less.

Billh50

Active User
Hey it would be a whole new type of doll house articles.

Alan Douglas

Silent Key
Rest In Peace
Grandpa\'s_wrench.jpg
At the turn of the last century there was a company advertising tiny tools as watch charms. My grandfather being a steam engineer and plumber had this wrench but I think there was a hammer offered also (I'd have to look up the ads).

aametalmaster

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
Very nice. And everyone says the AA109 Craftsmans are junk. I say depends what you use them for. Great job...Bob

randyc

Active User
LOTs of precision work has been produced on 6 inch Atlas lathes. They filled the niche that the little Asian lathes now occupy ... and were much better, IMHO. Of course I'm prejudiced since my first lathe was a well-tooled 6 inch Atlas :)

Andre

Active User
Craftsman 109's are actually produced by Dunlap, not Atlas. Dunlap sold the same model as well, but they mainly made them for Craftsman. The Atlas 618 would be a huge upgrade to the 109, in weight, rigidity, normal backgear, and a larger spindle (Planetary on the 109, a weaker and more fragile back gear setup then the 618, but it is more compact). I used this lathe before the SB came along, it did everything I needed and for $75 I can't complain. I know that thing in and out, washed every part by hand in the basement with Kerosene ans reassembled, the right way. Most screws and parts got antiseize, lithium grease, black grease, or light oil depending on the application. Or at least I THINK I did it the right way :) Time will tell.
Since the 13" was wayyyy to big for the basement, I keep the 109 in the basement for winter jobs. It's quieter than a mouse, can hardly hear it 15' away and can't at 30'. With a 1/4HP Emerson electric motor it made a perfect combo.
The real downside is the small spindle, the chuck will bow away on mild cuts in steel, but a spring cut or two and a little strip of 400 grit sandpaper you can get small parts to tenths, if your careful! :)

The 109 is a good lathe, if you can work within it's limitations.

Oh, and the pics above were taken with a jewelers loupe in front of the phone, a great trick for adding a little detail with lower res phone cameras.

brino

Active User
I am NOT afraid of hitting my thumb with that!

Nice work.

-brino

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
Those are sweeet! I wish I had a picture of it to share but many years ago I was at the "Cabin Fever" show in York, PA and saw a full-on overhead belt driven machine shop "doll house". The tools in this thread would have fit on the benches well.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb