Workshop Walls

I'm a light freak. I want my work area lit up like an OR in the hospital! In my case I didn't have to deal with a brick wall but it really doesn't make any difference. On my plywood walls I Kilz'd it then sealed it. After all was dry I went back with 2 coats of high gloss white enamel. Over the years I've found enamel easier to keep clean vs. latex. I then hung a 4' x 4 bulb florescent switched fixture over the lathe. I couldn't be more pleased. There's no glare as one might imagine, it reflects the light perfectly and as mentioned prior, is a snap to clean. In your situation with brick walls I'd go a little different route though, much like I did in my shop kitchen behind the sink for a backsplash. I used plastic designed to use as tub surrounds in bright white. It comes in 4' X 8' sheets and is really easy to work with. There're several ways to affix it to your brick wall. (I can post pics if you think it would make it clearer) If it were me, I'd fir it out with 1" X 2" fir strips anchored to the brick then screw the panels to the fir strips with short drywall screws. (also available in white. If ya can't find white then just daub some paint on the heads when you're finished.) Added bonus #1 would be the ability to hang shelves, pegs or whatever strikes your fancy for handy storage right by the machines. Bonus #2 is in the event you ever moved the machines and want to go back to your original brick wall you just unscrew the panels and fir strips caulk the anchor holes with color matching putty and it's like nothing ever happened.

Just my $0.02 but HTH,

Dale

Gloss white over gloss white.

I agree with all these guys. White on white as you can never have too much light.

When I built my shop, it is a Butler steel building, I had a painter come in and paint all the red iron gloss white before the walls were up. Everybody questioned me and pretty much thought I was nuts at the time. But after the white vinyl on the insulation was in place and the 400w MH multi vapor lamps were burning, it was deemed a pretty good idea.

Have fun in your new shop and enjoy. Pile up the SWARF! :))

I wouldn't cover anything- I put painter's lights with fluorescent bulbs all over the place. Cheap, and well lit where I need it.

I have white walls and I am trying to cover them up! :)
I put 3/4 plywood over the places I have a machine so I can just screw anything I want right into it without having to look for beams. Plus, I suck at finding beams :)

Bernie

I used FRP (fiberglass reinforced paneling) around my machines to prevent the walls from soaking up oils & stuff flung from the machines. Very easy to clean as well!
Easily found at Home Depot & Lowes. Not too expensive.

My lathe came with a back splash and a oil tray, which is another possibility. As for lighting, I have a 4' fluorescent lamp over it. Also, I bought one of those clamp-on goose neck LED barbecue lamps for spot lighting. The last works great even for other machines.
Mark

Hi Folks,

Thank all very much for the ideas.

The suggestions for panels (removable) that I can also hang things on seems the most appropriate. I wouldn't want lots of oil into the bricks.

I have been contemplating putting rockwall insulation behind the paneling to assist with minimising noise too. However, the garage door is probably much worse and needs attention w.r.t noise reduction as a first priority. Having said that, I'll probably do the walls first as I don't want to move machines later on.

I also am low on funds for anything elaborate, as I am ordering a PM-45-CNC (will operate manually for a while first) and a PM-1340GT Lathe, exhausting all my money from selling my motorbikes, custom guitars, and borrowing from my wife :) I always dive in deep, sink or swim :) Delivery will be a 2-3 months (ordering Metric) so I've got some time to prepare.

Cheers, Colin

G'Day,

Sealing them might be the go, certainly a simple solution. I'll also look into LED lights, I've never tried them before.

PS: I accidentally posted this twice. The previous link was to the second thread which received more posted replies.

Thanks, Colin

Lovely walls, shame to paint them. Why not considering just sealing them so that oil and gunk can be easily cleaned when they get dirty, use florescent fixtures and then use LED lights on your lathe and mill to provide spot light on the work surface. I have florescent fixtures, a lot of them and it is the LED's that really make a difference.

M.L.Woy

Back