Working out taper

jbobb1
Could you please explain to an old man how you do it using dial indicators
Thanks everyone Dell

Put something with the desired taper in the lathe, get it centered and running true. Preferably a male component. Mount an indicator touching the front of the taper, exactly on centerline. Move the carriage (for taper attachment) or compound back and forth, adjusting the angle of the compound or taper until the indicator doesn’t move.

I'm not the best at explaining myself through typing, so I'll try not to make this too confusing.
First you will need a shaft mounted in your lathe that is straight and true. I've used the tailstock quill for this as well.
To help you see where I going with this, move your compound at any angle, mount a indicator on the compound, touch off on the shaft and
move it along the length of the shaft (or quill). You'll obvious see indicator movement. We're going to call this movement the "X".
The distance from point A to point B on the shaft will be the "Y".
We know your taper is .0493" taper/inch, so if you had your compound set exactly at the known angle, you would see .0247" of "X" movement if you moved your compound the proper distance ( 1"+,I'll explain). The more travel you can get from your compound, the more accurate this will be.
If you could move your compound twice the distance", then obviously you would see .0493".
Because the compound movement is on a different axis of movement, it becomes the hypotenuse of a triangle, so we need to use the following formula: Square root of "A" squared plus "B" squared / A being the Y movement and B being the X movement.
So: The square root of 1 + .0006 = 1.0003
So, you would move your compound 1.0003" and see a indicator movement of .0247. Pretty minute I know, so if you can move your compound further, the X figure becomes more achievable.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks rabler
I don’t have anything with correct external taper only the Jacob JT0 chuck with female taper.
Jabobb1
I think it has sunk in but until I physically do it I don’t know.
Thanks Dell

Thanks rabler
I don’t have anything with correct external taper only the Jacob JT0 chuck with female taper.
Jabobb1
I think it has sunk in but until I physically do it I don’t know.
Thanks Dell
You can use the same approach on the inside of the JTO chuck, you're just stuck with a very limited sweep. Might be a good cross check. But ultimately you probably should blue up your newly turned taper and see how it fits.

I used Joe's trick to set up the angle for a drill chuck. Mine was a B16 taper, but the process is the same. I did the setup, then tested in aluminum with a mic so I could be sure I didn't mess something up. Then I cut it into the final part which fit great. I didn't have any bluing to test with, but even test fitting by hand it was difficult to remove and I could see some transfer with sharpie ink all around. Pressed in with a vise and it is rock solid.

When I machined for a living I used this method to set the taper attachment precisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back