Working out taper

Dell

Registered
Registered
Hi all
I am hoping someone can help me in working out what to set the cross slide to turn a JT0 taper the sizes are large end 0.2500” small end 0.2284” length 0.44” , I need to know how many deg to offset the crossslide.
Thanks in advance Dell

Check Machineries Hand Book it's all there

Hi thanks for prompt reply but unfortunately I don’t have that book as it’s something I would not use mor than once or twice as I repair clocks.

See attached.

Attachments

• Page from Machinery's Handbook 30th.pdf
    145 KB · Views: 35
what is the taper being used for? Do you have one you are trying to duplicate?

When ever I set up to turn a taper, be it with the compound or a taper attachment, I always used indicators.

Thanks for all the replies, I have a Jacob chuck that I want to use on my Derbyshire Magnus 10mm watchmakers lathe tailstock because I can no longer hold a pin vice to drill a hole due to having gout in both hands, I turned a taper using a graver and although it is very close it is slightly out when I align to dead centres and when I need to replace a pivot in an arbor that is only 1mm or less the hole needs to be very accurate , as I am going to use a cross slide on my watchmakers lathe I think I will have trouble setting it to 1.4 deg let alone 1.4117.

jbobb1
Could you please explain to an old man how you do it using dial indicators
Thanks everyone Dell

Back