work slipping in 3 jaw chuck

Pmedic828

Active User
Registered
I purchased a 13 X 40 lathe about a year ago. It has a D1-4 3 jaw chuck mounted to the lathe. About a month ago, I noticed that work began slipping while being held in this chuck. I attempted to open the jaws, wipe out chips, and see if I could determine why the work is slipping. Each of the 3 jaws are tight and tracking. When no work is held and the jaws closed, the 3 jaws align tight in the center.
The work can be anywhere in diameter from 1/2 inch to 1 - 1/4 inch. I allow the piece to hang out from the chuck no more than about 2x diameter. Today, I was attempting to thread some 1/2 inch rod. The compound is set at 29 degrees. I zero the cutter to the work and begin to cut the threads. The cross slide is returned to "0" each time. I advance the compound about 0.004 for each pass. I cut down on the thread about 5 passes. On the next pass, the threads were turned off. After disbelief, I noticed that the work was moving back and forth in and out of the chuck. It appears that the chuck is loosening after being tight. and the work begins to slip. I am sure that the cutter was not digging in, no rough marks on the threads until the work just stops and slips in the jaws. I also attempted to hold the rod in the chuck, bring it out about 3 inches, bore a hole in the end of the rod and support it with a live center. (I thought that maybe I was applying too much side pressure at the end of the work) I also thought that the piece might be out of round, so I chucked up another 1 - 1/4 rod that was pre turned and smooth. I made sure that the T wrench was used and the work was tight in the chuck. I turned on the lathe and fed the cross slide in about 0.001. After engaging the long travel, I noticed that the work was stopped and it was being pulled out of the chuck. I stopped the lathe and attempted to move the work in and out of the lathe chuck and it was loose. I retightened the chuck, and again fed the cross slide into the work to just begin cutting but toward the headstock. The work again loosened up and stopped traveling into the headstock this time.
I have aligned the cutter to the center line of the live center on the tail stock again and again making sure that it is on center. The chuck keeps loosening up after the lathe begins to spin. Sometimes it takes 50 revs, sometimes it takes only 3 revs for the chuck to loosen. This happens either with the work held in only the chuck or held in the chuck and supported with a live center. (With the live center, work is out about 3 inches) No signs of the cutter digging in or catching.:panic::dunno: The chuck is mount is tight, no wobbling or moving in and out.
Anyone have a clue as why this chuck is not slipping after numerous attempts to tighten it?:anyone:

One thing that comes to mind is check to see if your jaws are tru with the spindle. I had a cheap 3 jaw where the front of the jaws were lower than towards the back. So whenever I chucked up stock that was the full length or longer than the jaws it would only grip towards the back of the jaws & work often came loose. Puzzled me at first cause 3 jaws should have pretty good grip but I had very similar issues as you. Grinding the jaws would have fixed the issue but I've never done it yet & got rid of the chuck eventually anyway.The 4 jaw that came with my current lathe also had this same problem with the jaws, got rid of that one too.

Thats an odd pickle. have you taken the chuck apart for a good cleaning? sounds like swarf in the scroll prevednting the jaws to grab right and tight. might also be worn out jaws norn scroll.

Did the chuck just start doing this? The chuck really doesn't seem old enough to be worn, and I think jaw misalignment would have shown up from the beginning. As was mentioned, a good cleaning is probably in order, along with the correct lube.

The scroll converts rotating force to linear force. Friction between the scroll and the jaws often can lead a person to think the chuck is actually tighter than it really is. Same with friction on the pinions. Take it apart and clean and lube it.

Have you tried tightening all three jaws one after the other?
Silly question I know but I find drill chucks need this to fully tighten.

Have you tried tightening all three jaws one after the other?
Silly question I know but I find drill chucks need this to fully tighten.

You probably mean tightening all 3 pinions one after the other, right? There is no way to tighten the jaws individually on a scroll chuck.

I think he means to place the key into each pinion and tighten each one. This can be done on some chucks, but not all. My 5" Cushman, for example, only has one pinion available on the outside of the chuck. It never loosens up and it has seen LOTS of use since 1941!!

I like the previous recommendation to disassemble, clean, and lube the chuck and see what happens. It sounds to me like there are some chips in there that are causing problems.

believe it or not i have a scroll chuck that each jaw moves individually. It was off of a dividing head, and I thought it was useless, dialing in a 4 jaw isnt bad, but a 3 jaw... fogedabutit. so it is on the scrap heap atm. I can dig it up for if anyone wants to see a useless relic (and this is coming from me, i never scrap out tooling!)

Back