Work Holing Techniques

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Let's limit this discussion to very basic round stock turning (facing, turning down a diameter, turning to a shoulder, center drilling, etc).

From what I have read turning between centers requires a face plate and driver dog on the head stock end but at least for center drilling a chuck would be required. So I'm wondering if I need both of these mechanisms (dog driver and chuck) or can basic turning be done with a chuck and a tail stock center? It seems this would work with the compromise that there would be some wasted material on the chuck end.

I realize that ultimately there may be a need for both but what would the recommendation be for getting started with very basic turning?

Thanks
Rick

Let's limit this discussion to very basic round stock turning (facing, turning down a diameter, turning to a shoulder, center drilling, etc).

For 95% or what I do I do not turn between centers.
For facing you could not mount between centers.
If I am turning to a shoulder I usually use collets although a chuck would be adequate if you can either stand the run out or are willing to turn to a desired diameter and then turn to a step so the final diameter and the step are concentric.
I usually buy od ground stock and use collets however. Parting off requires either a chuck or collets.
Tuning a long diameter or cutting a long thread is best done between centers although you could use a chuck and a tailstock.

You can sometimes eliminate the use of a dog plate by holding a piece of stock in a chuck, turning a 60 degree point on it (to use as a center, does not need to be hard), this will be perfectly concentric, and supporting the end wit a center in the tail stock. A dog an be arranged to engage the chuck jaw.

Thanks Benji - sounds like a chuck is my starting point for learning

Rick

Back