Work holding with a lathe.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
Holding parts nearly to big for the machine, this is a job that I started yesterday (1 part) and may be scaled up or down for a particular sized machine.

I use an aluminum fixture plate mounted to a face plate in the lathe, drilled and tapped it to mount the part. This particular plate has been used for quite a few different parts, lots of holes.

Remove lathe gap, and mount faceplate.

Mount and face fixture on faceplate, reface it every time it is used as it will not remain flat.

Mount part and indicate as best as possible.

Hopefully this may answer some of the work holding questions that are often posted.

Last edited:
This is a 16" drillpress table in my 16" south bend. It was easy to hold but required light cuts. Sometimes large parts are held in soft jaws machined for them or on a faceplate. What are you working on?

10259022_893827110687287_8519241499055701844_o (1).jpg

The turning begins tomorrow morning, one piece of stock and only one chance to get it right. After I am done turning the OD, ID, facing and a counterbore it goes in a mill for bout 6-8 hours worth of work.

This is a 16" drillpress table in my 16" south bend. It was easy to hold but required light cuts. Sometimes large parts are held in soft jaws machined for them or on a faceplate. What are you working on?

View attachment 229630
Excellent job with the drill press table, if it will swing turn it.

This part finishes at minimum .38" thick. 29" on the OD 12.960" ID, the area where I have screwed it down with flat head screws will be removed in later mill operations.
As far as what it is or does I have no idea, I am given drawings and produce the part required.

Nice work. I've used my hydraulic lift table many times to support long work on my mill. I wouldn't be without it.

Thanks for posting the pictures. What brand is the lathe? Tos? Do you get to do the milling, or do you have to pass it on to someone else?
Cheers
Martin

Trens, made in Slovokia.

Turn OD/ID, face and counter bore, the C-Bore is 13.960" Dia. +.005-.000 X .060" deep.

The finish was better then I expected with less then optimal tooling and set up. One of the drawbacks of removing the gap is getting tools across it, above is a 2 1/2" Dia. boring bar sticking 8" out of the holder, upside down with the spindle running in reverse. A triangular insert at 56 RPM's, .006 IPR feedrate and a .020 DOC.
This machine does not feature CSS unfortunately. At the OD it is running at 425 SFM, 191 SFM at the ID, not ideal.

Thanks for posting the pictures. What brand is the lathe? Tos? Do you get to do the milling, or do you have to pass it on to someone else?
Cheers
Martin
Someone else will do the mill work thankfully, I primarily run lathes, we do have a manual Bridgeport that everyone uses for making tools and fixtures. Tos Trens a very nice 100" long machine as it has power rapids in the carriage, one quickly grows weary of cranking its 400+ Lb's up and down the ways all day.

Power carriage would be awesome. I see your Wawa coffee cup. I always stop for Wawa coffer when we go to the antique truck show near Allentown PA. I really like it. We are stuck with the same old crappy Tim Hortons up here. Lol
Martin

Power carriage would be awesome. I see your Wawa coffee cup. I always stop for Wawa coffer when we go to the antique truck show near Allentown PA. I really like it. We are stuck with the same old crappy Tim Hortons up here. Lol
Martin
I do not do anything without coffee, in Southern New Jersey one can't swing a cat without hitting a Wawa.

Back