Wooden Ship Kits

I build a lot of different models and that is what led me to machining and this site. I have never done a wooden ship model but it is something I've had on the to do list for quite some time.

Following onto my comment here two days ago....
So fifty years ago +/- was my wooden ship model phase, and I've got that almost virgin kit on my shelf. Ten years ago, I started this machining hobby.
After I wrote that comment, I thought maybe I could resume that clipper ship effort with the assistance of my machining capabilities.
1. Use my mini-mill, probably with router bits, to shape the hull to "ready-for-sanding" state.
2. Again with the mill, on wood or metal as appropriate, fabricate more realistic furnishings and fittings. Perhaps some lathe work too, like tapering spars.

Do any of y'all use your metal-working machines to support such activity?

I have extensive experience with wooden ship models some in kits others without the kits my last was a 3/8 scale of a McAllister deep-sea tug
and I built it with no plans and no drawings.
I'll post some photos of the tug if interested.
dgehricke
At long last I found some old photos of a deep sea tug I built coundn't find the other photos of the other ships I've built so these will have to do for starters.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Very nice! You put a lot of time and skill into the details and it shows.

Roy

Following onto my comment here two days ago....
So fifty years ago +/- was my wooden ship model phase, and I've got that almost virgin kit on my shelf. Ten years ago, I started this machining hobby.
After I wrote that comment, I thought maybe I could resume that clipper ship effort with the assistance of my machining capabilities.
1. Use my mini-mill, probably with router bits, to shape the hull to "ready-for-sanding" state.
2. Again with the mill, on wood or metal as appropriate, fabricate more realistic furnishings and fittings. Perhaps some lathe work too, like tapering spars.

Do any of y'all use your metal-working machines to support such activity?
Use my lathe and mill to reproduce wooden parts in brass. Make turnbuckles and winches,also ships wheels.
big o.

I've been working on the Model Shipways USS Constitution for like five years now. By working, I mostly mean walking by the thing, and saying, "I'm going to finish that one day, but not today."

The work I'm doing right now actually puts me closer to that goal. I've cleaned out my son's old bedroom, and I'm moving my drum kit and all music and video production into that room. That will allow me to extract the desk I was using as a workbench for the ship, and I'm going to relocate it to the former dining room, where I will walk by the model in progress every day, and get a guilt trip. The dining room has been piled up with junk ever since my wife left. I'm shuffling the junk into closets that are now vacated since I hauled my wife's last remaining belongings to the dump, and the dining room will be the room of shame to make me feel guilty for not working on the ship model.

I'll still probably never finish the thing, but at least I'll feel more guilty in the process of not completing it.

Back