Wooden base for mill.

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
This is the base I am using for my old mill. I have a new larger mill that I am thinking of using this same base design for. Hopefully it is obvious that I chose this design to allow the mill to be moved easily by a pallet jack. Does anyone see any inherent problems with this design? I actually REALLY like the extra height the base provides as it brings the work up to me (6'3").

Should work fine. A knee mill does not need to be perfectly level.

I counter with having a mill level offers many advantages. I spent a great deal of time building an adjustable steel "foot" my mill sits on. I leveled it using my Starrett machinists level. Once it is set, I can use the same level to assist in fixturing. Parts can be set and confirmed and with my set ups I am within 2 thou at the and usually under a thou most of the time.

I counter with having a mill level offers many advantages. I spent a great deal of time building an adjustable steel "foot" my mill sits on. I leveled it using my Starrett machinists level. Once it is set, I can use the same level to assist in fixturing. Parts can be set and confirmed and with my set ups I am within 2 thou at the and usually under a thou most of the time.

I agree, a level mill does facilitate some setups, especially lining up keyways in long shafts.

I agree there are advantages to having a leveled mill especially when it comes to setting up work. My wooden base does not preclude me from leveling my mill with shims between the mill and the base. I never did this on my old mill... but I probably will on my new mill when it finds its permanent spot. My main concern was... "That is the stupidest base I have ever seen because...."

My concern was more about the stability of a wooden base vs a metal base and any adverse vibrations or harmonics the wood might cause. I think the wood base actually dampens vibrations instead of amplifying them.

I understand that wood does expand and contract with the seasons and I will never be able to completely dial in the mill to perfectly level then expect it to stay perfectly level though out the year. (Central Oregon where I live is quite dry year round).

I appreciate the feedback!

Back