Wood turning on a metal lathe using the carriage / tool post vs free hand?

I wasn't that lucky in my shop. I didn't have a metal lathe. I did have a big external thread chaser. You selected the thread pitch and then dial it out until it fit. Sort of like a pipe wrench. Used it for axles and hydraulic cylinders.

I wasn't that lucky in my shop. I didn't have a metal lathe. I did have a big external thread chaser. You selected the thread pitch and then dial it out until it fit. Sort of like a pipe wrench. Used it for axles and hydraulic cylinders.
The thread chasers that I wrote about were rectangular, kind of like a file without teeth, and then teeth machined on one end with front clearance and a tang on the other end for a file handle, they are used in a lathe on a hand rest to cut threads or dress up damaged threads,

I got them in Metric & Imperial. Have used them for years. Can't live in the repair world without them. I thought you meant a 60 degree hand held graver.

I got them in Metric & Imperial. Have used them for years. Can't live in the repair world without them. I thought you meant a 60 degree hand held graver.
Not easy to find, I had pretty much a full set in imperial, had to leave them when I sold my business, but can go back and borrow them when I have need. Seemed like most of them were made by Pratt & Whitney.

I turned more wood on my Atlas 12" lathe than metal.
Out of curiosity, how fast will your Atlas turn? It seems like a lot of the wood lathes go up to 3500 RPM or so, but metal lathes are limited to about 2000 rpm. Did you run into any problems with this?
I don't know how crucial this is. I'm guessing the higher speed is more important for small diameter parts, but I don't know what size it would start to be important.

I've used a 7 x 10 mini metal lathe for wood turning (pens) for a number of years. I started with a home made Tee rest for hand turning. I also built and added a pattern tracing mod to the lathe so I could cut curved surfaces using the tool post, carriage and power feed. I do make a tool bar that holds wood turning carbide inserts that works really well. Inserts designed for aluminum cutting also work good for wood and plastics, they have a sharper polished cutting edge.

I also added an electric motor driven variable speed (slow) drive to make finishing cuts. I can go straight to 400 grit sand paper after turning.

Danny

I did this freehand on my Logan.

Attachments

• DE204C94-12CE-47BE-BADB-0891E724F3AC.jpeg
    DE204C94-12CE-47BE-BADB-0891E724F3AC.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 8
Back