Wood screw threads

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
Is there a way to cut wood screw-like threads on a mini-lathe?

Mike.

depends on how big the screws are, and how big the space removed to form the thread is and if the thread is tapered, I'd wonder if it is a bit of a stretch for a mini lathe. I only have made such threads as lag screw threads on 3/4" stock, with a 19" lathe it was not a problem.

It depends::

A wood screw has a "funny" shaped thread,
A wood screw thread is tapered. Wide at the svrew end, narrow at the point.

Does your lathe allow you to cut a tapered thread?

The funny shaped thread is addressed by grinding a tool of the appropriate shape.

What's the application? It might be easier to modify an existing wood screw than making one from scratch if you can find something close to what you need.

John

It is possible to tap and drill wood just like metal to accept machine screws (I'd would use course thread). You don't use cutting lubricants when you tap. When you are done tapping, blow out the hole to clear any sawdust. Then add a drop or two of super glue in the hole and let cure. Strength wise, I can't tell you how well it will hold up to wood screws. However, it seems to work quite well with oak or maple.

Been away,
I need a screw to go into wood that has a machine thread on the other end. Diameter and pitch has not be a concern yet but would need to be about 5/16-3/8" minimum.
First need to know if I can create it.
Been to the hardware store and HD but couldn't find anything to fit my need. They have what im talking about but very small diameter 3/32, 3/16, #8, #10.

Mike.

Been away,
I need a screw to go into wood that has a machine thread on the other end. Diameter and pitch has not be a concern yet but would need to be about 5/16-3/8" minimum.
First need to know if I can create it.
Been to the hardware store and HD but couldn't find anything to fit my need. They have what im talking about but very small diameter 3/32, 3/16, #8, #10.

Mike.

Also, I have made my own from 5/16" and 3/8" lag screws. I cut the hex head off threaded with 5/16-18 and 3/8-16 threads.

RJSakowski,
Now THAT's a great idea.
Get a lag bolt the size I need, cut the head off and cut threads.
Problem solved.
Thank you.

Mike.

Another interesting thing I have learnt on this forum. I had to look up 'lag bolt' as I had never heard the name before. I now know; in the UK they tend to be called 'coach screws'.

Another interesting thing I have learnt on this forum. I had to look up 'lag bolt' as I had never heard the name before. I now know; in the UK they tend to be called 'coach screws'.
Here in the states, we have a screw and screwdriver that is called squarehead. After learning sometime ago the Canadians call this fastener a Robertson after their Canadian inventor. Since then, I decided to call it by the Canadian name out of respect for our friends up north.

Back