Wondering about a hole in the apron of my SB9A

thenrie

Active User
Registered
Is there supposed to be an oil cup in the hole you see in the photo just above the half-nut lever - the one with the brass tube insert? Some photos I have seen show an oil cup on a gracefully upward sweeping brass tube protuding from that hole. Most aprons I see look just like mine. It is the oiling tube that feeds the half-nuts.

2014-03-11 12.57.20.jpg

2014-03-11 12.57.20.jpg

My Hercus AR (Australian copy) has the same hole with no oil cup. As you have said, it feeds oil to the half-nuts.

I don't know for sure on a 9 but on my 10L it has the curved oil cap.

Here is what I did if you can see it, a brass elbow with a knurled cap..

112-1281_IMG.JPG

Another variation of what other did is what I just got finished doing. If you look at the picture, you'll see where I soldered a 90 degree oil cap onto the original brass tube. Knock the tube out, might be easier to knock it out from the back, clean up the tube with sole light sand paper, inside and out (soldering=cleanliness) same for the oil Cup, take the chrome off of the soldered portion. The cup I used was a somewhat loose fit on the id of the original tube, the cup also has a shoulder on it, so you can see, it was almost the same od as the original tube, with a smaller portion that fits into the id of the original tube.

Hope that helps. From what I've found, they don't sell new the sweeping 45 degree oil cups anymore. It could probably be fabricated in a similar fashion as I did did this one though by bending the appropriate brass tube etc. But, my entire lathe was devoid of any and all oil cups, with most missing, and all of the more "complicated" ones like this one broken off. I was glad the original tubes remained. In this case, I Decided to just use what I had on hand uploadfromtaptalk1394625011825.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394625011825.jpg

Thanks for that last. I'm thinking South Bend made it that way. I've seen more like mine than not. GK1918's post of that diagram sort of confirms it for me. I'm sure they did other things with other year models, but I think I'll just leave mine as is.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back