Wolhaupter UPA3

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I'm extremely pleased to have bought a older style Wolhaupter UPA3 boring facing head on Ebay for just under $300. Straight 3/4" shank. It was in pretty rough shape.
Screenshot_20220306-075253_eBay.jpg

The action was extremely stiff with petrified grease. It needed significant cleaning. I did not need to completely strip every little thing to get it moving.

Turns out it had a damaged retaining screw hole internally. I had to jb weld the hole and drill and tap. It isn't under any real pressure so it should hold. If this doesn't hold I'll enlarge the hole a bit and press in a piece of steel I can drill and tap. The base steel laughs at hss...way too hard.

20220313_113354.jpg

It was missing a 3mm bearing ball for the feed. The ball fits in the hole on the shank and engages the detents inside the ring. I ordered 1000 pcs of 3mm 52100 bearing balls for $10. Now I have 999 to use elsewhere...lol!

20220313_124121.jpg

The adjustment ring was damaged from rust and some very aggressive wire brushing. Many of the lines were completely removed. HSS wouldn't scratch it but a cheap Chinese carbide scribe did the trick. The set up was a blast. I used my stepper controlled rotary table. The lines matched up perfectly when done. It took 3 passes to get the depth.

20220313_102323.jpg

20220313_102332.jpg

20220313_103320.jpg

Today I finally got it running. It works very nicely.

It takes a bit of fiddling to realize that it retracts rotating the same direction as it feeds. Once the feed pops out against the stop, the retracting button can be pushed in while it's running and right back she goes.

The head can feed nearly the same distance both ways from center. When boring, the positioning of the clamping screws in the bottom holes would engage the boring bar flats if manually feeding in the opposite direction of the automatic feed. I don't know how many folks use it that way but it's an advantage over my old Taiwanese Intetstate clone boring facing head.

I'm extremely pleased so far. Any tips with this particular head are appreciated.

20220321_171130.jpg

Wow - nice find for $300. I paid $500 for my UPA-3 kit on eBay, same sluggish action from old grease. Luckily I didn't have to re-scribe all the indexing lines. I'm impressed with the lengths you went to on this - makes me smile.

Schweeet tool . :encourage: Good find for $300 .

I know some of these have removable shanks. Is this always the case or are some integral?

The numbers are really faint and they don't really mean anything anyway for normal use so I put a paint pen dot on each line with a number or every 0.005". 20220322_092526.jpg

I think I like it!

I have a UPA-1 set , and you WILL like it . :encourage: I have an MT2 taper shank and use an MT2 to R8 shank for the BP , never really looked to see if it was integral or not .

Does anyone know the length of the boring bars that came in my kit originally?

Back