WM210V upgrade to Numobams NUE210V ELS

I modified the front plate to accept the original tachometer. The pot does not make smooth speed changes. I put in a 10 turn pot but it did not improve the result. The Problem must be in the controller for motor speed. This setup give a lot of torque on the lead screw up to 350 RPM and is gone by 425 RPM. The optical encoder occasionally gave me odd results over 600 RPM on the chuck. I had to mount a 48v 10 amp supply on the back of the lathe and step up the current to 5.6 amps with a cooling fan.

I am pleased with the result and the lathe has adequate power for cutting threads.
Glad it is working for you! After all your extra work, how much money do you have into it? (Don't count the NEMA34.) My home made ELS uses a NEMA24 closed loop stepper and a 48V power supply. If I recall correctly my stepper driver is set to 5A. One needs a higher voltage supply to overcome the motor inductance. Typically one uses the highest voltage power supply the stepper controller will allow, to get full torque out of the motor.

Don't recall if I asked this previously, does this do imperial threads as well as metric? How coarse of a thread can it cut? Can you cut 6mm pitch?

Does this unit do thread to a stop? I want to implement that on mine, but haven't completely worked through the problem. I know the spindle angle, from the rotary encoder and the carriage position from a DRO. I could save the stepper count (but haven't). Pretty sure I could work it from there.

In operation, (this has a metric lead screw correct?) what do you do when you come to the thread gutter?

limits on Pitch are from 0.0001 mm -> 5 mm. The Nema 24 supplied had too much inertia. I could not get it up to speed. This motor is a Nema 23 with a 10 mm shaft and is faster. The higher voltage and current were just to get the torque. Works much better than the Nema24 supplied. It does thread to a stop and programmable length. Then returns to origin and will repeat as often as you like. Currently I am using a plastic printed gear on the 10 mm shaft as I wait for an aluminum one to come in. It does Imperial and Metric and custom in 0.0001 mm increments. I would bet Numobams would sell you the controller and cable. It is all programmable for the encoder and stepper so should work with any setup. For thread cutting I mounted/modified an AXA 250 and use carbide thread cutting tools. The lead screw is 2 mm pitch, but once the drive is electronic it no longer matters. The 48v power supply is about $25, the Nema 23 motor $36, the fan $20. I bought a 4 mm screw set to mount everything for $15.
With the stepper the controller has the relative carriage position.

I think this controller is on GITHUB.

limits on Pitch are from 0.0001 mm -> 5 mm. The Nema 24 supplied had too much inertia. I could not get it up to speed. This motor is a Nema 23 with a 10 mm shaft and is faster. The higher voltage and current were just to get the torque. Works much better than the Nema24 supplied. It does thread to a stop and programmable length. Then returns to origin and will repeat as often as you like. Currently I am using a plastic printed gear on the 10 mm shaft as I wait for an aluminum one to come in. It does Imperial and Metric and custom in 0.0001 mm increments. I would bet Numobams would sell you the controller and cable. It is all programmable for the encoder and stepper so should work with any setup. For thread cutting I mounted/modified an AXA 250 and use carbide thread cutting tools. The lead screw is 2 mm pitch, but once the drive is electronic it no longer matters. The 48v power supply is about $25, the Nema 23 motor $36, the fan $20. I bought a 4 mm screw set to mount everything for $15.
With the stepper the controller has the relative carriage position.

I think this controller is on GITHUB.
Thanks for the info.

If this controller is on github, it isn't under numobams. Not on gitlab either, under that name, nor under numobam. Went to numobams website, nothing mentions controller software. All I could find was a pdf with the basic operations.

Sam Li seems to be willing to sell any part of his systems. He takes a few days to respond. The controller board and cable should be all that you need.

samli@numobams.com

Sam Li seems to be willing to sell any part of his systems. He takes a few days to respond. The controller board and cable should be all that you need.

samli@numobams.com
Thanks for the info.

I don't need any hardware, boards, or cables. I have all that, I designed my own and created my own controller PCB. So I already have have a working ELS. My interest was more in how some features were implemented, (their basic ideas) so I could possibly add them to my ELS system.

I was working on the lathe this morning and after about an hour I heard a loud pop behind the tachometer and it and the lathe went dead. The Numobams ELS which is on a separate supply was ok. I will be out of commission for a few weeks until a replacement controller and display come in from China. The downside of a lathe with Chinese electronics.

Back