WM210V or other Chinese lathes

weston1968

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I made a mistake. I had cleaned off the lathe with acetone and lubricated it. I saw that I had missed the protractor on the compound rest and proceeded to clean it with acetone. Oops acetone was a solvent for the protractor. I am printing up a replacement and while I was at it I extended the diameter just enough that I can get to 45 degrees.

Attached is an STL that will allow you to print one yourself on a 3D printer. If you have made the same mistake and need one but can not print it, I can put it on eBay for $5.

Attachments

• WM210V protracter.jpg
    WM210V protracter.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64
  • lathe protracter.stl
    364.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Protractor.jpg
    Protractor.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 61
Acetone is way too strong for general purpose cleaning- especially around plastics and painted surfaces
(Now he tells me)

Acetone is way too strong for general purpose cleaning- especially around plastics and painted surfaces
(Now he tells me)
Thought it was all steel and I was only doing it for fist time cleaning. I was wrong, but I do learn.

sorry posted to wrong forum

Last edited:
I made a mistake. I had cleaned off the lathe with acetone and lubricated it. I saw that I had missed the protractor on the compound rest and proceeded to clean it with acetone. Oops acetone was a solvent for the protractor. I am printing up a replacement and while I was at it I extended the diameter just enough that I can get to 45 degrees.

Attached is an STL that will allow you to print one yourself on a 3D printer. If you have made the same mistake and need one but can not print it, I can put it on eBay for $5.
I used a square and set up the saddle. I discovered the original protractor was not on the zero line. So I spent awhile and found that the line is not centered between the two mounting screws on my lathe. This new STL has a slot in each mounting hole. Allowing about 1.25 mm of horizontal adjustment. Square it up then mount tis protractor. The original protractor must have been off as well. I increased the diameter to he max I think it can go, giving the ability to adjust the angle more accurately.

Attachments

• lathe protracter v11.stl
    396 KB · Views: 36

I was going nuts try to figure out why the protractor was not centering. First I discovered that the 0 degree line was scribed in the wrong place. I scribed a deeper line in the correct place and filled with black paint. The part the protractor screwed into was offset by 0.15 mm left to right. This version v14 has a slot for each screw +/- 0.3mm. I increased the angle from 20 degrees to 30 degrees because the light from above works better at illuminating the protractor.

Attachments

• lathe protractor v14.jpg
    lathe protractor v14.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
  • lathe protracter v14.stl
    403.2 KB · Views: 33
  • lathe protracter v15.stl
    428 KB · Views: 36
  • lathe protractor v15.jpg
    lathe protractor v15.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 36
Back